Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2013/03/10 13:41:02 UTC

Java broker exchange set Alternate Exchange

Hmmm, am I imagining it or is there no way yet to set the Alternate
Exchange of an Exchange in the Java broker (well via the
ConfiguredObject anyway).

1) Doing createExchange() on the VirtualHost and the properties Map is
ignored
2) On the Exchange ConfiguredObject it looks like setAttribute() isn't
fully implemented getAttribute() looks like it can retrieve any
alternateExchange, but actually setting it seems missing.
3) I can't even do it "the hacky way", I was going to grit my teeth and
get the org.apache.qpid.server.exchange.Exchange from the
ExchangeAdapter, but the getExchange() method has package scope :-(

Any thoughts or is that TBD and I just need to park it for now?

Cheers,
Frase

Re: Java broker exchange set Alternate Exchange

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 10 March 2013 15:09, Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On 10/03/13 12:51, Rob Godfrey wrote:
>>
>> Raise a JIRA if there isn't one already.  We should certainly enable
>> the setting of the Alternate Exchange.
>>
>> Of course if you are feeling particularly enthusiastic, feel free to
>> submit a patch/test case :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rob
>>
> I'll look in to this, I got my commit stuff through the other week, but I'm
> still plucking up the courage to do anything formal :-)
>
> To be fair I want to get the QmfManagementPlugin out as an addition to the
> rest of my QMF stuff then learn up a bit more about svn before I do it. I'm
> not really sure where to begin, I've taken a look through the new commiters
> guide, but I've not found anything relating to your branching strategies.
> I'm not really familiar with svn and not sure whether commit really commits
> or just pushes something out for review - and if the former how to get
> things reviewed before I commit.

So.. commits *really* commit... so you may want to create yourself a
sandbox branch if you just want to play around.  You can create a
branch any time you want, there's no real rules that we've been
enforcing about when a branch might be appropriate (other than the
more formal branches such as the release branches).

-- Rob

Posted by Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, the broker currently doesn't really support AlternateExchanges on
Exchanges.

setAttribute() probably isnt doing anything in particular because I dont
think we have ever been able to set any attributes on exchanges via the
management interface (have a look at JMX) thus far.

Some of the reasons we haven't done anything about it are:

a) We currently have a bit of a chicken-and-egg issue with the way we store
and recover exchanges that would doing make this harder than it sounds like
it ought to be. We have discussed a route for fixing these issues by
changing how we store certain bits of virtualhost level config to be
relationships between different objects, but wont get to that until further
down the line when we eventually rewrite the internal model and config
storage for virtualhosts and queues/exchanges/bindings etc along the lines
of what we are doing at the broker level just now.

b) it has never worked and noone has ever mentioned it (until now), so it
seems nobody is actually using them with the Java broker.

Raising a JIRA and parking it for now seems like the way to go here to me,
though we could perhaps make the broker be more informative of the fact
that it isnt going to work.

Robbie