Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/18 14:14:06 UTC

Subsystem Uber-Bundle (Was Re: [VOTE] subsystem-bundle 1.0.0)

The uber-bundle approach was always a way to get started quickly with OSGi
technologies that were comprised of a number of bundles, but they really
don't work well when you are combining multiple technologies in a single
OSGi framework, so people generally move off the uber-bundle once they
start doing something more serious.
Now that we have subsytems these provide a nice solution to this as they
keep the modularity of bundles intact, while providing the convenience of a
single deployable artifact (the .esa file). You get the simplicity of a
single deployable file without the disadvantages of a big monolithic bundle
- the best of both worlds really :)

So I guess all of the *other* projects that used to provide 'uber' bundles
should really start providing subsystems now instead.

That leaves the 'uber' bundle of the subsystems implementation itself. I
think there is value in having it as it speeds up getting started with
subsystems and you can't use .esa for this obviously, although I can
imagine that once people have more serious deployments that they would move
away from the subsystems uber-bundle and use the individual components
instead.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Cheers,

David