Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Yoshiki Hayashi <yo...@xemacs.org> on 2002/04/25 09:40:47 UTC

Translated module docs in 2.0?

As httpd 2.0 is already released as GA, I want to populate
docs with more Japanese translations.  However, I stumbled
at mod directory where HTML files are automatically
generated from XML files.  I know almost nothing about the
softwares used there.

There already exist en.xml and sv.xml so it looks like some
measure was taken to add translated docs.  But guessing from
the content of build.xml, it only handles *.xml to *.html
conversion.  If someone can teach me how to change build
system to add translations, I'll really appreciate it.  If
not, I'll go through the pile of docs and eventually find
out how to do it...

--
Yoshiki Hayashi

Re: Translated module docs in 2.0?

Posted by Yoshiki Hayashi <yo...@xemacs.org>.
Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> writes:

> I suggest that you start by committing the jp.xml for the stylesheet
> translations and one module doc in xml format with a name like
> mod_xxx.jp.xml, and then the two of us can play with build.xml and see if
> we can get a good transformation setup.

That sounds like a reasonable approach.  I'll add ja.xml to
the repository soon.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 25 Apr 2002, Yoshiki Hayashi wrote:

> As httpd 2.0 is already released as GA, I want to populate
> docs with more Japanese translations.  However, I stumbled
> at mod directory where HTML files are automatically
> generated from XML files.  I know almost nothing about the
> softwares used there.
>
> There already exist en.xml and sv.xml so it looks like some
> measure was taken to add translated docs.  But guessing from
> the content of build.xml, it only handles *.xml to *.html
> conversion.  If someone can teach me how to change build
> system to add translations, I'll really appreciate it.  If
> not, I'll go through the pile of docs and eventually find
> out how to do it...

Yes, Patrik Grip-Jansson did some work making the system work for
translations, but we haven't had any real translations to test it out on.
Obviously, you need to add a jp.xml, which will have the basic
translations for the stylesheet stuff.

As far as the build system goes, we never really finished our debate on
whether we want to use file.jp.xml or file.xml.jp.  Will says that either
way will work fine with Multiviews, but I haven't tested that.  Then we
need to get Ant to transform them properly by modifying build.xml.  I'm
not really an Ant expert, but I'm willing to help here.  The Ant
documentation (available somewhere under http://jakarta.apache.org/) is
also quite good.

I suggest that you start by committing the jp.xml for the stylesheet
translations and one module doc in xml format with a name like
mod_xxx.jp.xml, and then the two of us can play with build.xml and see if
we can get a good transformation setup.

Suggestions from others are also welcome.  If someone wants to setup a
replacement for Ant as the build system, I would have no problem with
that.

Joshua.