Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au> on 2007/11/29 00:43:37 UTC

Compiling XML Editor component with Java 1.3

Hi Tonny.

There is one part of your XML Editor component that does not compile
with Java 1.3, which is the XMLView.updateDamage() method.  That method
is package private in Java 1.3, and only became protected in Java 1.4.

Commenting the method out didn’t seem to make any different difference
with some quick tests.  What does the method do?  Is it safe to remove
it for now?

Thanks,

Cameron

--
Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/

Re: Compiling XML Editor component with Java 1.3

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au>.
Tonny Kohar:
> Sorry for long response, I have been out of town for few days, and I
> just come back.
>
> Yes, it should be safe to remove that method, that method is basically
> just repaint the container, instead of only the damaged area (eg:
> obsecured by another windows, then the windows is moved, etc). It is
> just a workaround for swing painting bug,  which does not paint the
> damaged area correctly, it usually occurs if you set the Text Editor
> component auto wrapping.

OK.  Since I’m not going to use it in an auto wrapping situation for
now, should be fine then.  Thanks!

Posted by Tonny Kohar <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Nov 29, 2007 6:43 AM, Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au> wrote:
> Hi Tonny.
>
> There is one part of your XML Editor component that does not compile
> with Java 1.3, which is the XMLView.updateDamage() method.  That method
> is package private in Java 1.3, and only became protected in Java 1.4.
>
> Commenting the method out didn't seem to make any different difference
> with some quick tests.  What does the method do?  Is it safe to remove
> it for now?

Sorry for long response, I have been out of town for few days, and I
just come back.

Yes, it should be safe to remove that method, that method is basically
just repaint the container, instead of only the damaged area (eg:
obsecured by another windows, then the windows is moved, etc). It is
just a workaround for swing painting bug,  which does not paint the
damaged area correctly, it usually occurs if you set the Text Editor
component auto wrapping.

Cheers
Tonny Kohar
--