Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by Michael Young <yo...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/22 22:45:01 UTC

Row timestamp usage

I am using a DATE type column as one of the leading columns in my PK and I
am defining it as "ROW TIMESTAMP" to take advantage of the optimizations
mentioned here:https://phoenix.apache.org/rowtimestamp.html

Are there any disadvantages to using this feature?  My PK has 20+ columns
(queries are done over date ranges so I am interested in any optimizations
which help such queries).  The value is set on UPSERT to the daily value,
the hour/minutes aren't really needed for my use cases so I just use
midnight 00:00.000 (eg. 2017-01-01 00:00:00.000).

Once it's set, is there a way to alter the column type to be a regular DATE
type?  Or would I need to recreate the table?

Just wondering out of curiosity in case there are instances where I should
not be using this feature.

Cheers,
-Michael

Re: Row timestamp usage

Posted by Michael Young <yo...@gmail.com>.
Sergey,
at this point I haven't noticed any issues with the CsvBulkLoadTool on my
version (HDP2.5 with phoenix-4.7.0.2.5.0.0-1245).  I don't have any
secondary indexes, if that is what you are referring to.

If you know any potential side effects, I can look for them.  I will check
JIRA as well.

Thanks for this information!

Re: Row timestamp usage

Posted by Sergey Soldatov <se...@gmail.com>.