Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by ms...@email.cz on 2012/02/17 18:02:34 UTC

Node naming

Hello,

I just realized following behaviour in node naming when I use the same node name for children. Say I have 2 nodes with the same name. Then Jackrabbit uses following path to distinguish them: /path/node and /path/node[1]. If I delete first node '/path/node' then node originally with absolute path '/path/node[1]' will now have absolute path '/path/node'.

It means I cannot use path '/path/node[1]' to locate second node. I must use either jcr:uuid or use unique node names for my nodes

Am I right?

Thanks

Marek

Re: Node naming

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
On 2012-02-17 18:02, mslama@email.cz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just realized following behaviour in node naming when I use the same node name for children. Say I have 2 nodes with the same name. Then Jackrabbit uses following path to distinguish them: /path/node and /path/node[1]. If I delete first node '/path/node' then node originally with absolute path '/path/node[1]' will now have absolute path '/path/node'.
>
> It means I cannot use path '/path/node[1]' to locate second node. I must use either jcr:uuid or use unique node names for my nodes
>
> Am I right?

The first one should be available as both node and node[1]; the second
one as node[2]. Until you delete the first, of course.

Best regards, Julian

Re: Node naming

Posted by Mark Herman <MH...@NBME.org>.
First of all sns are pretty tricky and usually not recommended unless really
needed [0].  As I recall the array worked like a stack, last in, first out
when referencing without the array index, so that means the entire array
shifts when you do that. See also [1] and [2].

Yes you are right, but I'd suggest avoiding them entirely if possible. If
you don't already know, you can accomplish that by using a node type that
has sns disabled (custom, or a default one like nt:folder).

[0]
http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/DavidsModel#Rule_.234:_Beware_of_Same_Name_Siblings.
[1] http://www.day.com/specs/jcr/2.0/22_Same-Name_Siblings.html
[2] http://www.day.com/specs/jcr/2.0/23_Orderable_Child_Nodes.html