Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Ramani Routray <ro...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/10 07:06:39 UTC

Java (Apache POI) : How to retrieve comment/annotation and associated highlighted text from Microsoft Word?

I have a Microsoft word (.docx) file and trying to retrieve the comments
and it's associated highlighted text. Can you pls help.

Attaching picture of the sample word document and the java code for
extracting the comments. [ A file with a line "My name is John". The word
"John" is highlighted with a comment "Noun" ]

I am able to extract the comments (Noun, Adjective). I would like to
extract the highlighted text associated with the comment from the word
document "Noun" (Noun = John, Adjective = great)

FileInputStream fis = new FileInputStream(new File(msWordFilePath));
    XWPFDocument adoc = new XWPFDocument(fis);
    XWPFWordExtractor xwe = new XWPFWordExtractor(adoc);
    XWPFComment[] comments = adoc.getComments();

    for(int idx=0; idx < comments.length; idx++)
    {
        MSWordAnnotation annot = new MSWordAnnotation();
        annot.setAnnotationName(comments[idx].getId());
        annot.setAnnotationValue(comments[idx].getText());
        aList.add(annot);

    }

regards,
Ramani

Re: Java (Apache POI) : How to retrieve comment/annotation and associated highlighted text from Microsoft Word?

Posted by Javen O'Neal <on...@apache.org>.
Ramani,

Please see my responses from your previous email on the
dev@poi.apache.org mailing list. Make sure you're subscribed to a
mailing list before sending a message to it so that your messages
don't get dropped by the moderator system and so that you can receive
the responses.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/3e048af8e7c8adaa0d234913b061adbfbd5896e2cba71b78031ec3ac@%3Cdev.poi.apache.org%3E