Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Crucius, Wesley" <WC...@sandc.com> on 2004/04/05 20:36:28 UTC

Disconnected development

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about how I might best handle
disconnected (from any network) development.  We have folks who
occasionally have to hit the field and do several weeks of development
work without possibility of connecting, even through the internet, in
order to commit changes to our development Subversion server.  The first
part of the problem is easy enough.  They can create a "branch" and grab
a source snapshot, and then running a local disk-based repository makes
a lot of sense.  The problem comes in when they return home and we'd
like to be able to populate the main repository tree with the branch
they've been maintaining on local disk.  Is this possible, for example
with a dump of the local disk repository, then some semi-automated
massaging of the data, and then a load?  Obviously we'd like to keep the
history and ideally have the branch look like a "naturally grown" branch
and not a grafted on branch...

Any suggestions?  BTW, I've heard about SVK, but it sounds like an all
or nothing approach.  We just want a semi-automatic mechanism because
the vast majority of our development work is done in the more
traditional LAN connected environment...

Thanks,
Wes

Re: Disconnected development

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.

What he said. :(

> My hopes were so briefly raised only to be cruelly dashed by reality. :)

My thoughts exactly! ;)

I hope that a few of us that are using svk and are currently infected with Win32
machines will be able to get together and make the Perl bindings work on Win32...

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

RE: Disconnected development

Posted by Mark Watts <mw...@stny.rr.com>.

-Mark

Re: Disconnected development

Posted by Dave Rolsky <au...@urth.org>.
On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, John Peacock wrote:

> No, svk is _exactly_ what you want for the disconnected people (as long as they
> are running Win32).  svk allows an individual user to:

John means "are _not_ running Win32".

-dave

/*=======================
House Absolute Consulting
www.houseabsolute.com

Re: Disconnected development

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Crucius, Wesley wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about how I might best handle
> disconnected (from any network) development.
>
> Any suggestions?  BTW, I've heard about SVK, but it sounds like an all
> or nothing approach.  We just want a semi-automatic mechanism because
> the vast majority of our development work is done in the more
> traditional LAN connected environment…

No, svk is _exactly_ what you want for the disconnected people (as long as they
are running Win32).  svk allows an individual user to:

1) mirror a normal svn repository locally;
2) make a local copy of the mirror for development purposes;
3) resync the mirror and merge changes down to the local copy;
4) merge changes from the local copy back to the mirrored repository.

#4 looks just like a regular commit on the remote svn repository (with some
extra properties), so your LAN connected people will not notice anything
different.  The merges in #3 are intelligent, so it is very easy to keep your
local repository in sync with very little effort.

HTH

John

--
John Peacock