Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ryan A <r...@jumac.com> on 2003/01/11 22:45:16 UTC

[users@httpd] OT-Getting info and DAP etc clients

Hi,
I am trying to make a small software piece in perl/PHP for apache which will record users when they enter the members area to catch password sharing...
I have already been able to record their ip address but i would like to know what else can i get?
eg:
computer name?

second question is, when DAP or other download clients download from a website, do they give out the IP from where they are coming from? am confused on that and couldnt find the answer on google....

Any help appreciated.
Cheers,
-Ryan A.

Re: [users@httpd] OT-Getting info and DAP etc clients

Posted by George Valpak <gv...@yahoo.com>.
At 06:51 PM 1/11/2003 -0500, Chris Meadors wrote:
>George Valpak wrote:
>>What if you only allowed x (maybe x=1) simultaneous logins? This
>>could be managed at authorization time.
>
>It may appear that you only have to log in at the start of a session, but actually the browser remembers that you had to send authorization information and continues to send it for each future page requested.

Of course that is correct - the browser resend's the authorization info each time. What I was hoping to convey, but vague about, was that you can capture session-like info much earlier in the process under the right conditions, and use that to decide if a password is still logged in (= not currently available from a different or "different enough" IP address unless the original account explicitly logs out or times out later, or something like that)

GV

Re: [users@httpd] George Valpack-->Re: [users@httpd] OT-Getting info and DAP etc clients

Posted by George Valpak <gv...@yahoo.com>.
At 01:15 AM 1/12/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I am more of a PHP and java programmer, is learning PERL hard? or  can you
>give me a good resource on the web to learn perl and using the mod_perl
>module?

Perl's motto is "there is more than way to do it" so there isn't a good answer to "is it hard" :)

I suggest starting at www.perl.org for general perl stuff, and www.apache.org for apache stuff - there is extensive mod_perl help there.

I think you really are looking at apache issues so look up about the authentication/authorization phases of the apache cycle.

I don't know the configuration of your server - mod_perl may or may not be installed. It gets installed at apache build time, at least by me. apache.org can tell you if there is a way to do otherwise, but I am not sure about if it is or not.

I also would suspect you can get similar abilities from mod_php which may or may not be installed. I don't know the definitive source for info on that, but I do know there is a brand new php cookbook from O'Reilley which might address using mod_php to access apache internals as mod_perl does.

Googling "php apache authentication" might turn up some useful stuff. I don't think what I described earlier strictly needs to be implemented in perl, just that is the world I come from. You could probably do it in Java too - substitute java for php in that google suggestion.

GV

[users@httpd] George Valpack-->Re: [users@httpd] OT-Getting info and DAP etc clients

Posted by George Valpak <gv...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Chris Meadors <cl...@hereintown.net>.

--
Chris

Re: [users@httpd] OT-Getting info and DAP etc clients

Posted by George Valpak <gv...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Ryan A <r...@jumac.com>.
Hi All,
Thanks guys, but basically it all comes down to,
if i was "big brother" how much can i know about a single client/login?

If i know that i can use something like
if (userip=blah) and (cookie=true) and (session=true) and
(computername=blah?) and etc etc etc

that would make it mighty hard for someone to forge wouldnt it? the more
fields i define the harder to forge...

All replies appreciated....

Posted by Ryan A <r...@jumac.com>.
Hey!