Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Neal Sanche <ne...@nsdev.org> on 2005/06/16 07:22:43 UTC

Geronimo and Struts 1.2.7

Hi All,

I am currently working hard to get a Struts 1.2.7 application to build
and deploy inside Geronimo HEAD. I've made great strides tonight in
doing so, but I've run into a problem now, and I'm not sure what's
happening. I've bundled all of the struts .jar files and dependecies in
my WEB-INF/lib directory inside my .WAR file. I have a bunch of Struts
Actions compiled and their classes are written to the WEB-INF/classes
directory. My struts based .jsps seem to execute fine, and as long as I
don't access and Struts Action classes, I'm fine. But when I do access a
struts action, I get the error:

    HTTP ERROR: 500

org/apache/struts/action/Action

RequestURI=/phonebook/Hello.do

/Powered by Jetty:// <http://jetty.mortbay.org>
/

And the console emits the following stack trace:

23:16:16,101 WARN  [ServletHandler] Error for /phonebook/Hello.do
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/struts/action/Action
        at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:12
4)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.jetty.JettyClassLoader.loadClass(JettyClassLoader
.java:59)
        at
org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.applicationClass(RequestUtils.jav
a:117)
        at
org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.applicationInstance(RequestUtils.
java:143)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionCreate(Request
Processor.java:280)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.ja
va:218)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:119
4)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:414)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:595)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:688)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:427
)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.jetty.JettyServletHolder.handle(JettyServletHolde
r.java:92)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(
WebApplicationHandler.java:832)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.JSR154Filter.doFilter(JSR154Filter.java:171
)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(
WebApplicationHandler.java:823)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler.dispatch(WebApplicati
onHandler.java:473)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Dispatcher.dispatch(Dispatcher.java:272)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Dispatcher.forward(Dispatcher.java:169)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.doForward(RequestProcessor.
java:1063)
        at
org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor.doForward(TilesRequestP
rocessor.java:263)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processForwardConfig(Reques
tProcessor.java:386)
        at
org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor.processForwardConfig(Ti
lesRequestProcessor.java:318)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.ja
va:229)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:119
4)

So what I find freaky about this stack trace is that near the bottom,
org.apache.struts.action stuff starts appearing indicating to me that
the struts classes are being found, I think. Is there, perhaps, a
conflicting Jar inside the Geronimo repository? Is there a way to make
the Geronimo classloader only load from within the web application .WAR
scope? Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks tons, if you can help me.

Cheers.

-Neal

//

Re: Geronimo and Struts 1.2.7

Posted by Neal Sanche <ne...@nsdev.org>.
Thanks so much Aaron,

Yes, this hint, combined with Cata's great hint of not bundling the
commons-logging-1.0.4.jar into my web application worked to get
everything running like I know it should have. This is good. Now I'm on
to my next problem, but I'll make a new post for that.

I had messed with the context-priority-classloader element last night
before I heard back from you, but immediately was faced with classcast
exceptions and reverted. With commons-logging out of the picture
everything seems to be functional now.

-Neal

Re: Geronimo and Struts 1.2.7

Posted by Neal Sanche <ne...@nsdev.org>.
Thanks Cata,

I'm going to go try this suggestion right now. I had actually added the
/context-priority-classloader/ in my geronimo-jetty.xml deployment plan,
but got the exceptions almost immediately, and so I set it back. I'll
also try removing the commons-logging from the webapp and see if that
solves the problem. Thanks a lot.

-Neal

Re: Geronimo and Struts 1.2.7

Posted by "Catalino Pineda Jr." <cp...@exist.com>.