Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org> on 2011/06/29 14:10:29 UTC

svn:externals for docs build

Hey guys,

I would like to add an svn:externals for
docs/manual/build in trunk - any concerns?

--
Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org

Re: svn:externals for docs build

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On Jun 29, 2011, at 13:44, "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> Is it realistic to expect/demand that svn checkouts include only the xml
> sources, the docs build/ tree, and that all developers are expected to
> have java around to rebuild the .html's once on a fresh checkout and on
> rolling a tarball?

I don't expect anyone to rebuild the HTML. There are folks who are able and willing to do that. A line or two of docs, even if they don't build correctly, greatly help our overall doc effort.

Re: svn:externals for docs build

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 6/29/2011 12:34 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:

>> maybe we should move out the docs entirely
>
> -1
>
> Putting any extra obstacles in front of anyone writing a doc is unwise.
>
> I don't honestly think anyone minds checking out the repo at  the current size. Have we
> heard complaints?

Is it realistic to expect/demand that svn checkouts include only the xml
sources, the docs build/ tree, and that all developers are expected to
have java around to rebuild the .html's once on a fresh checkout and on
rolling a tarball?

This is a very different question from what should be in our tarball, which
aught to be the resulting manual/ html doc set.

In theory, 100MB becomes +/-60MB on a checkout, and +/-70MB in a tarball

Re: svn:externals for docs build

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

> I find 98M in a clean checkout. (69M of that belong to the docs already).

Wow. I had no idea the docs were that much of it.

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group wrote:

> [...]

As said, I don't have a strong opinion, but since I hear the modem argument
a lot: people are connecting mobile these days pretty often and out of my
own experience - it's mostly just GPRS.

nd
--
die (eval q-qq:Just Another Perl Hacker
:-)

# André Malo, <http://www.perlig.de/> #

Re: svn:externals for docs build

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

> > still, I think
> > >
> > > Hmm.
> > >
> > > I find 98M in a clean checkout. (69M of that belong to the
> > docs already).
> > >
> > > Try make extraclean ;-)
> > >
> > > maybe we should move out the docs entirely?
> > >
> > > nd
> > >

> > Is it really worth it?
>
> IMHO not. Is it really that kind of an issue for anybody to checkout
> httpd-trunk including
> docs? Times of modems should be over :-).

And with Subversion 1.7 on it's way it should be even faster!

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

Posted by "Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group" <ru...@vodafone.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Jun 29, 2011, at 11:00 AM, André Malo wrote:

> On Wednesday 29 June 2011 16:47:16 Rich Bowen wrote:
>> On Jun 29, 2011, at 10:43 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>>> [rbowen@Rocinante:apache/httpd-trunk]$ du -ksh ./
>>>
>>> (06-29 10:39) 249M	./
>>
>> Oops. 'make distclean' dropped about 40M off of that. But, still, I think
>> it's a pretty small addition.
>
> Hmm.
>
> I find 98M in a clean checkout. (69M of that belong to the docs already).
>
> Try make extraclean ;-)
>
> maybe we should move out the docs entirely?
>
> nd

Is it really worth it?

Re: svn:externals for docs build

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Jun 29, 2011, at 11:00 AM, André Malo wrote:

> On Wednesday 29 June 2011 16:47:16 Rich Bowen wrote:
>> On Jun 29, 2011, at 10:43 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>>> [rbowen@Rocinante:apache/httpd-trunk]$ du -ksh ./
>>>
>>> (06-29 10:39) 249M	./
>>
>> Oops. 'make distclean' dropped about 40M off of that. But, still, I think
>> it's a pretty small addition.
>
> Hmm.
>
> I find 98M in a clean checkout. (69M of that belong to the docs already).
>
> Try make extraclean ;-)
>
> maybe we should move out the docs entirely?
>
> nd

Is it really worth it?

Re: svn:externals for docs build

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
On Wednesday 29 June 2011 16:47:16 Rich Bowen wrote:
> On Jun 29, 2011, at 10:43 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> > [rbowen@Rocinante:apache/httpd-trunk]$ du -ksh ./
> >
> > (06-29 10:39) 249M	./
>
> Oops. 'make distclean' dropped about 40M off of that. But, still, I think
> it's a pretty small addition.

Hmm.

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
On Wednesday 29 June 2011 16:47:16 Rich Bowen wrote:
> On Jun 29, 2011, at 10:43 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> > [rbowen@Rocinante:apache/httpd-trunk]$ du -ksh ./
> >
> > (06-29 10:39) 249M	./
>
> Oops. 'make distclean' dropped about 40M off of that. But, still, I think
> it's a pretty small addition.

Hmm.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

rbowen@rcbowen.com
rbowen@apache.org

Re: svn:externals for docs build

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Jun 29, 2011, at 10:30 AM, André Malo wrote:

> On Wednesday 29 June 2011 15:39:32 Igor Galić wrote:
>>> Hey guys,
>>>
>>> I would like to add an svn:externals for
>>> docs/manual/build in trunk - any concerns?
>
> There was a lot of discussion about that in the past (about once every year, I
> think). I don't have a strong opinion about either way, just pointing it out.
>
> IIRC the argument against it was that not every developer should need to load
> the tons of jar files. Thatswhy we provide the doc build tools as a separate
> package in the download directory.

[rbowen@Rocinante:apache/httpd-trunk]$ cd docs/manual                                                                                                                               (06-29 10:38)
[rbowen@Rocinante:docs/manual]$ du -ksh build                                                                                                                                       (06-29 10:38)
 13M	build
[rbowen@Rocinante:docs/manual]$ cd ../../                                                                                                                                           (06-29 10:38)
[rbowen@Rocinante:apache/httpd-trunk]$ du -ksh ./                                                                                                                                   (06-29 10:39)
249M	./
[rbowen@Rocinante:apache/httpd-trunk]$ perl -le 'printf( "%.02f%%\n",  13/249 * 100 );'                                                                                             (06-29 10:42)
5.22%

Doesn't seem like it's a terribly significant addition.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com

Re: svn:externals for docs build