Posted to dev@zeppelin.apache.org by Jeff Steinmetz <je...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/01 18:01:16 UTC

JDBC connection closing

Curious if the interpreter holds a JDBC connection open, and if that connection ever times out (closes), does the interpreter + JDBC interaction have a way to reconnect?

I have the JDBC interpreter connecting to MySQL - works well.
However after a few minutes of not using the notebook - running a query again throws a “ConnectionClosed” exception.
If I restart the interpreter, all is good.

Is there a JDBC setting to “Reconnect” ?
Wondering if the interpreter is holding a connection open, and eventually that connection is closed due to a timeout setting, and Zeppelin+JDBC still expects it to be alive.

using: mysql:mysql-connector-java:5.1.38

Best
Jeff

Re: JDBC connection closing

Posted by Jongyoul Lee <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

In a general case, JDBC connection will be expired and closed by request of
server side. And I've handled ConnectionClosed and Zeppelin will try to
connect again. It seems like a bug and I'll check it

Concerning reconnect feature, mysql already support it[1].

Hope this help,
JL

[1]:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17901034/how-to-set-autoreconnect-property-for-mysql-db-url-in-play-framework-configurati