Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Stefano Lenzi <ki...@interfree.it> on 2008/03/11 13:23:09 UTC

HOW-TO Release felix artifact

Hi All,

Can anyone point me to a guide to follow for release our artifact?

I'm asking because I'm willing to create release artifact for review for
the following artifact:
  - org.osgi.core-1.0.1
  - org.osgi.compendium-1.0.1
  - shell-1.0.1
  - shell.tui-1.0.1
  - javax.servlet-1.0.1
  - main-1.0.4
  - framework-1.0.4

Ciao,
Stefano "Kismet" Lenzi

[Summary] Re: HOW-TO Release felix artifact

Posted by Stefano Lenzi <ki...@interfree.it>.
Stefano Lenzi wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can anyone point me to a guide to follow for release our artifact?
>
> I'm asking because I'm willing to create release artifact for review for
> the following artifact:
>  - org.osgi.core-1.0.1
>  - org.osgi.compendium-1.0.1
>  - shell-1.0.1
>  - shell.tui-1.0.1
>  - javax.servlet-1.0.1
>  - main-1.0.4
>  - framework-1.0.4

Summarizing the Thread seems that:

A) We will release org.osgi.* with the new version schema (whatever it
will be)

B) We will release a X.Y.Z.1 instead of X.Y.(Z+1) for all the module
which do not include any source code modification

Comments?

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Am Dienstag, den 11.03.2008, 10:59 -0400 schrieb Richard S. Hall:
> I don't necessarily have any issues with releasing the bundles you
> mention below, but main and framework are more complicated since we have
> started committing stuff to them that should not be released yet. Thus,
> to release them we would have to create a branch from the old 1.0.3
> release. Seems like a lot of effort just for a recompile.

If framework and main are not ready for release yet and there is no fix
in the current snapshot which you urgently have to have a release for, I
would not favor creating a branch just to cut a release, which is not
required at the moment. Creating branches to cut a release, creates a
lot of pain ... (we have some experience with this at my workplace ;-) )

Just my €.02

Regards
Felix

Re: HOW-TO Release felix artifact

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Stefano Lenzi wrote:
> I don't think that the effort for recompiling main and framework will
> be too big, because we can branch from the old release. My concern in
> case of the branching is: where do we are going to store them on the
> SVN repo?
>
> IMHO, I think that will be a general issue related to maintaining old
> release while developing new one. I think that a new area on the SVN
> is needed for such cases.

I understand that the recompiling effort is not big...I was wondering
whether it was worth having to figure out all of the above out in order
to do the recompile of framework/main (the other bundles shouldn't have
any issues). But I will let other people determine if it is worth it, I
am just raising the question.

-> richard

Posted by Stefano Lenzi <ki...@interfree.it>.
Karl Pauls wrote:
> Stefano,
>
> I have a couple of points inline.
>
>>  > I don't necessarily have any issues with releasing the bundles you
>>  > mention below, but main and framework are more complicated since we have
>>  > started committing stuff to them that should not be released yet. Thus,
>>  > to release them we would have to create a branch from the old 1.0.3
>>  > release. Seems like a lot of effort just for a recompile.
>
> That's my feeling as well. Do you really need a 1.3 compatible release
> right now (i.e., it's not enough to just recompile it locally and use
> that one)?
>
>>  > -> richard
>>
>>  I don't think that the effort for recompiling main and framework will be
>>  too big, because we can branch from the old release. My concern in case
>>  of the branching is: where do we are going to store them on the SVN repo?
>
> Releases are stored in the releases dir in svn:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/releases
>
>>  IMHO, I think that will be a general issue related to maintaining old
>>  release while developing new one. I think that a new area on the SVN is
>>  needed for such cases.
>
> We already have one unless you are talking about a branch area which
> we don't have because as of now we didn't need to and just waited
> until the trunk is stable enough to release. I don't really like
> branches unless they are unavoidable because of compatibility issues.

Yes I was speaking about the branches that you don't like :P

>>  >> I'm asking because I'm willing to create release artifact for review
>>  >> for the following artifact:
>>  >>  - org.osgi.core-1.0.1
>>  >>  - org.osgi.compendium-1.0.1
>
> Did we say we want to change the version schema for core and
> compendium to osgi_version-our_version?

I thought to release a fix version for compendium and core before
renaming to the new schema, but you are right we can start to use the
new schema from now. I will call a vote on that :)

>>  >>  - shell-1.0.1
>>  >>  - shell.tui-1.0.1
>>  >>  - javax.servlet-1.0.1
>>  >>  - main-1.0.4
>>  >>  - framework-1.0.4
>
> Well, ultimately I'm not against releasing the artifacts but I don't
> really want to make them a 1.0.4. Probably best to go with something
> like 1.0.3.1 because they really didn't change. However, I really
> don't want to do it unless it is something you really need right away.

What about asking on dev and users mailing-list?

> Finally, isn't it enough to just recompile the releases and vote again
> on the binaries only? Then we can just put the binaries into maven, we
> don't have to branch, and we're done, no?

For me there is no problem in releasing again only the binaries, but
keep in mind that at least the pom.xml will be changed for the above
artifact and if you change the version of shell or shell.tui even
main/conf/config.properties must be changed.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Richard S. Hall wrote:
>> Karl Pauls wrote:
>>> Finally, isn't it enough to just recompile the releases and vote again
>>> on the binaries only? Then we can just put the binaries into maven, we
>>> don't have to branch, and we're done, no?
>>>

>> I'd say that this seems like the way to go.
>>
> Hmm, re-releasing a different distribution under the same version is
> not a good idea; especially with maven as it never updates an artifact
> in your repo once it has downloaded it.

The issue is that our binaries are only convenience releases, our
official release is source, which in theory hasn't changed...except as
Stefano pointed out that our POMs will likely have to change, so this
approach won't probably work anyway.

> I think we should just do micro patch releases, like 1.0.3.1. This can
> be done easily by checking out the tagged version, checking this in as
> a temporary branch, update the version, make the required change for
> java 1.3 compilation, check in, release the stuff (this creates the
> 1.0.3.1 tag for example). Once the vote has passed, we can remove the
> temporary branch from svn as we have the tag anyway and it is unlikely
> that we will do a 1.0.3.2.
>
> I think this is simple enough, does not create much overhead but we
> have clean version handling.

Yes, I agree, we will probably end up having to do something like this.

-> richard

Re: HOW-TO Release felix artifact

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Richard S. Hall wrote:
> Karl Pauls wrote:
>> Finally, isn't it enough to just recompile the releases and vote again
>> on the binaries only? Then we can just put the binaries into maven, we
>> don't have to branch, and we're done, no?
>>

> I'd say that this seems like the way to go.

Hmm, re-releasing a different distribution under the same version is not
a good idea; especially with maven as it never updates an artifact in
your repo once it has downloaded it.

I think we should just do micro patch releases, like 1.0.3.1. This can
be done easily by checking out the tagged version, checking this in as a
temporary branch, update the version, make the required change for java
1.3 compilation, check in, release the stuff (this creates the 1.0.3.1
tag for example). Once the vote has passed, we can remove the temporary
branch from svn as we have the tag anyway and it is unlikely that we
will do a 1.0.3.2.

I think this is simple enough, does not create much overhead but we have
clean version handling.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: HOW-TO Release felix artifact

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
Stefano,

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: HOW-TO Release felix artifact

Posted by Stefano Lenzi <ki...@interfree.it>.
Richard S. Hall wrote:
> Stefano,
>
> Karl is the release manager and has generally been in charge of
> releasing the artifacts that you mention below, so I think you'd have to
> discuss with him and get him involved with the release.

I'll wait for Karl comment :)

> I don't necessarily have any issues with releasing the bundles you
> mention below, but main and framework are more complicated since we have
> started committing stuff to them that should not be released yet. Thus,
> to release them we would have to create a branch from the old 1.0.3
> release. Seems like a lot of effort just for a recompile.
>
> -> richard

Hi Richard,

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Richard S. Hall wrote:
>> We should really put this under the "development" documentation area...
>>
> Yeah, "we" really should do this :)
>
> I've added a first rough draft

Excellent!

-> richard

Re: HOW-TO Release felix artifact

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Stefano Lenzi wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

> [cut]
>

>> Then upload the deployed stuff to people.apache.org and put them there
>> together with the KEYS file containing your public key so we can
>> verify the signatures.
>
> Does it mean that I have to append my GPG create key to the file:
> people.apache.org:/x1/www/www.apache.org/dist/felix/KEYS ?

Yes.

> Because I have done such step but http://www.apache.org/dist/felix/KEYS
> does not report my key :S
> Should I wait some time to see the effect?

Yes, I think the sites are sync every 2 hours.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org