Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/22 04:18:57 UTC

XPath Replacement Plugin: Looking for Feedback

I'm looking for some feedback on a project I started:
http://www.stephenduncanjr.com/projects/xpathreplacement-maven-plugin/index.html

The basic motivation behind creating this plugin is to get the type of
benefits that filtering gets you, without having to put in placeholder
expressions.  I mostly develop web-apps, and I prefer to develop
directly out of the source folders for the most part (using Eclipse
WTP).  Using placeholders in things like web.xml, or spring
configuration files prevents me from doing that, and I'm stuck back at
the build->deploy->test cycle.  In my mind, this plugin can help solve
that.

My questions are:

1) Is anybody else interested in this at all?
2) Naming?  I hate naming, so names for both the plugin and the goals
are welcome.
3) Is the namespace configuration clear enough?
4) Should the parser not be namespace-aware when you don't specify a
namespace mapping?
5) What shoud the real usage look like?  For now it's very simple: one
goal that lets you process a single file, and by default puts that
file into the root of target/classes.

While I have some other ideas on what the answers to 5 might be, I'd
rather hear other peopele's ideas first.

--
Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com

Re: XPath Replacement Plugin: Looking for Feedback

Posted by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com>.
An issue I forgot.  My implementation requires Java 5.   If there's
interest from those who can't live with that, I will heartily welcome
alternative implementations.

- Stephen

--
Stephen Duncan Jr