Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Emmanuel Gilmont <e....@ibelgique.com> on 2003/03/19 09:46:08 UTC

SMTP AUTH scares me...

Hello guys,

I have troubles with the smtp protocol enabled with auth and verification.
When I send mails from my lan, there are no problems, the log shows correctly
that the auth mechanism works well. When I try the same from the internet,
the auth fails. When I try to telnet my james server and issue a ehlo
command, I must retry several times before getting the message "auth=auth
login"...

Between my james server and the Internet, I have a Dlink DI804
router/firewall. Does it possible that it's the problem? How can I solve
this?

Any idea? Thanks a lot,
Emmanuel

Re: SMTP AUTH scares me...

Posted by Kenny Smith <ja...@journalscape.com>.
Hi Emmanuel,

I had a problem with this at work. For some reason the firewall was
dropping packets that it deemed to be "authentication packets." This
included SMTP, SSH, all sorts of stuff. The IT guys didn't really tell
what they changed or give me a good description, but it sounded like
some sort of proxy configuration was the cause.

Kenny

Re: SMTP AUTH scares me...

Posted by Kenny Smith <ja...@journalscape.com>.
Hi Danny,

I've totally found James/SMTP-AUTH to be totally rocking too, but this
problem I had with the lan at work made it appear that when I telneted
to james and issued the ehlo, that no AUTH LOGIN PLAIN was returned.

I downloaded Ethereal on my workstation and fired up ngrep on the james
box so that I could sniff the network locally on both machines. In the
ngrep on the mail server I could see James responding with the AUTH
LOGIN PLAIN but in the sniff from my local workstation there was no such
thing.

The firewall was stripping it out, presumably so that it could proxy the
connections to mail servers and handle any SMTP-AUTH automatically. Very
weird.

Kenny Smith

RE: SMTP AUTH scares me...

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.