Posted to user@struts.apache.org by David Benoff <db...@covad.net> on 2003/08/02 08:39:32 UTC

Struts Layout problem: NPE with ???

Hi all,
I’m experimenting with Struts Layout and having a problem with the
<layout:checkboxes> tag.  The jsp I’m replacing uses the multibox tag
backed by a DynaActionForm with a String[] property and works fine.  But
with Struts Layout, the <layout:checkboxes> grabs the collection
properly out of the request and populates the form with checkboxes, but
I get an NPE on form submit.  I’ve wracked my brains and can’t diagnose
the problem.  Any hints appreciated!

Here’s the form:

<layout:form action="/newteamsave.do?method=newteamsave"
focus="teamname" key="newteam.title" styleClass="FORM">

…Snip…

  <layout:checkboxes key="prompt.selectcats" property="cats">
            <layout:options collection="categories"
property="categoryname"/>
  </layout:checkboxes>

  <layout:formActions>
      <layout:submit property="submit" value="Submit"/>
      <layout:reset/>
  </layout:formActions>

</layout:form>

And here’s the NPE.  I’ve tried my own form class with an ArrayList()
property instead…still get the same exception.

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.commons.beanutils.PropertyUtils.setIndexedProperty(PropertyUt
ils.java:1458)
        at
org.apache.commons.beanutils.BeanUtils.setProperty(BeanUtils.java:928)
        at
org.apache.commons.beanutils.BeanUtils.populate(BeanUtils.java:729)

---