Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Brian Dobby <bd...@nobilis.com> on 2001/01/10 16:14:52 UTC

Newbie: Parse XML from a String?

Hi, folks.
	Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm on another 'in at the
deep end' project...

	DOMParser.parse takes a String argument which it treats as a URI. Is
their any way that I can parse XML from a String without writing it out to a
file first?
	TIA
		Brian

Re: Newbie: Parse XML from a String?

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
Brian Dobby wrote:
>         DOMParser.parse takes a String argument which it treats as a
> URI. Is their any way that I can parse XML from a String without
> writing it out to a file first?

Use the following:

  Reader reader = new StringReader("<root/>");
  InputSource source = new InputSource(reader);

  parser.parse(source);

This really needs to be in the FAQ.

Re: Newbie: Parse XML from a String?

Posted by Ian Roberts <ir...@decisionsoft.com>.
On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Brian Dobby wrote:

> Hi, folks.
> 	Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm on another 'in at the
> deep end' project...
>
> 	DOMParser.parse takes a String argument which it treats as a URI. Is
> their any way that I can parse XML from a String without writing it out to a
> file first?

DOMParser can parse from an InputSource, so if your XML is in the
xmlString, you can do:

InputSource source = new InputSource(new StringReader(xmlString));
parser.parse(source);

Ian

--
Ian Roberts                     | irr@decisionsoft.com