Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Anaru Hartley <ne...@hyper.net.nz> on 2003/02/07 00:59:55 UTC

[users@httpd] FTP Access

Does anyone know how to setup FTP Access with Apache HTTP.
My goal is to make a few webhosting website with an automated signup process.

Thanks, Anaru.

Re: [users@httpd] FTP Access

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 12:44 AM 2/7/2003, J. Greenlees wrote:
>Quoting "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>:
>>
>> That's actually one of Apache's best points, and makes a great motto...
>> 'It's just the web server, stupid.'  (Not insulting you --- that's as in
>> the quote "It's the economy, stupid.")
>>
>why on earth would I want an ftp client with the webserver? I can see
>ftp server with the web server, and I have proftp, anonftp, wuftp as
>supported options with linux, and they all work out of the box.

Are you asking about why proxy ftp through http?  Good question
I supposed, but Apache does it if you like (in Apache 2.0 you can
load or ignore that specific option, the same with http or proxy
CONNECT options.)  Usually, it's more of a firewall issue - piping
all traffic through the same gateway, etc.

>( something like half a dozen ftp clients, but the app used to ftp files
>up to the remote server isn't really a subject for the server list.

Sure it is (well s/used to ftp/used to post/) ... It's called WebDAV :-)

Bill

Re: [users@httpd] FTP Access

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@x-mail.net>.
Quoting "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>:

> >Anaru Hartley said:
> >> IIS Sucks. Period. Linux/Unix Sucks too...
*nix only sucks if m$ is what you consider to be a real os  ( be it dos or winders )

> >> I'm running Apache purely on DOS, and its fine - most stable thing on
> >> earth, its just annoying that Apache does not come with some kind of a
> >> FTP Client. Cheers.
>
> It does.  mod_proxy_ftp.
>
> :-)
>
> You did say "FTP Client".  mod_proxy_ftp is an ftp client to service ftp
> requests through http proxy.
>
> But I suppose you meant FTP server, and as we all like bashing MS...
> they try to roll so many features into a single 'product' that nobody
> understands all of the pieces running under the hood (not the developers
> themselves, and certainly not your average programmer/consumer.)
>
> That's actually one of Apache's best points, and makes a great motto...
> 'It's just the web server, stupid.'  (Not insulting you --- that's as in
> the
> quote "It's the economy, stupid.")

why on earth would I want an ftp client with the webserver? I can see ftp server with
the web server, and I have proftp, anonftp, wuftp as supported options with linux, and
they all work out of the box.
( something like half a dozen ftp clients, but the app used to ftp files up to the
remote server isn't really a subject for the server list.

***Protect your PC from local E-Mail Application security holes***
***Maintain your Privacy - Passport Free***
***Anti SPAM "Whitelist" feature***

http://www.x-mail.net Web Based E-Mail, accessible anywhere

Voice Messages, Voice Calls, Live Chat, X-Mail Messenger,
Personal Web Hosting, 128 bit SSL Secure, Calendar, Bookmarks,
Forwarding, Virtual Mail Map Aliasing

X-Mail Premium: 20MB Messages, 100MB Storage, POP3, Ad Free

Re: [users@httpd] FTP Access

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
>Anaru Hartley said:
>> IIS Sucks. Period. Linux/Unix Sucks too...
>> I'm running Apache purely on DOS, and its fine - most stable thing on
>> earth, its just annoying that Apache does not come with some kind of a
>> FTP Client. Cheers.

It does.  mod_proxy_ftp.

:-)

Re: [users@httpd] FTP Access

Posted by Sander Holthaus - Orange XL <in...@orangexl.com>.
To show you we're all nice people here:

    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Q_10170131.html#1

    which leads to

    http://opcenter.cites.uiuc.edu/nas/nash/cutcp/cutcp.html

Googled for 5 minutes and there it was.

Re: [users@httpd] FTP Access

Posted by Anthony Abby <an...@aplusdata.com>.
Anaru Hartley said:
> IIS Sucks. Period. Linux/Unix Sucks too...
> I'm running Apache purely on DOS, and its fine - most stable thing on
> earth, its just annoying that Apache does not come with some kind of a
> FTP Client. Cheers.

Why would it?  It's not an FTP daemon... it's an http daemon... nothing
remotely close about them.

Re: [users@httpd] FTP Access

Posted by Chris Taylor <ch...@x-bb.org>.
Not strictly true anymore :)

Apache 2.0 is implemented in such a way that you could easily (if you were
any good at C) code it a module to provide an FTP server. In fact, Apache is
designed to be protocol independant these days (kind of).

An example already exists in the form of mod_pop3 which provides (you
guessed it), a mail server :)

To summarise: Apache isn't currently an FTP server. But if you want one,
there's no barrier to writing one with much of the same core code :)

Chris Taylor - chris@x-bb.org - The guy with the PS2 WebServer -
http://www.x-bb.org/chris.asc

RE: [users@httpd] FTP Access

Posted by Koen Vingerhoets <ko...@ubench.com>.
Hi!

glad to hear you just decided that IIS sucks.  Mail it to Bill?  I run IIS,
and it works rather ok if you use it for serving some asp... the only thing
that could be more or less sucky is that you REALLY need to run Windows
Update and reboot the PC.  Compared to configuring Apache under windows, IIS
is like a girlfriend when you're teen, while Apache is your mother in law
after ten years of marriage.  On the other hand, Apache under Linux works
like a charm.

Well the horse was a stable thing to ride on as well, yet I don't see many
in the streets anymore :)

Koen

Re: [users@httpd] FTP Access

Re: [users@httpd] FTP Access

Posted by Anthony Abby <an...@aplusdata.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] FTP Access

Posted by Anaru Hartley <ne...@hyper.net.nz>.
For Windows But?

Re: [users@httpd] FTP Access

Posted by Anthony Abby <an...@aplusdata.com>.
Anaru Hartley said:
> Does anyone know how to setup FTP Access with Apache HTTP.
> My goal is to make a few webhosting website with an automated signup
> process.

try http://proftpd.linux.co.uk/

HTH