Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Bruno Harbulot <Br...@manchester.ac.uk> on 2010/05/19 00:51:20 UTC

Maven, redistribution and licenses

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to discuss this topic since it's
probably not the ASF's problem strictly speaking, but since Maven is an
Apache project, I would appreciate some informal advice from people with
more legal expertise than me on a discussion I started on the Maven
Users list:
   http://markmail.org/message/ny42hzbebnh2befb

The facts on which I'm basing my reasoning are that, in my opinion:

- Hosting software on http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/ (for example) is a
form of redistribution and falls under the notions of "redistribution"
and "conveying" common to a number of OSS licences (Apache, GPL, LGPL,
BSD, MIT at least).

- A publisher's omission to include a licence doesn't grant whoever gets
hold of that software a licence to redistribute it unconditionally.

Could anyone comment on whether these two points are correct (I suppose
it might depend on the territoriality too)?

To put this in context, I'm trying to argue that Maven should do a bit
more to help respect the licences and that the central repository
currently doesn't in a number of cases, since a number of jars don't
have any licence information in them or associated with them.
(I'm not trying to have a legal battle, but I'm making suggestions to
improve the system.)

Best wishes,

Bruno.

Re: Maven, redistribution and licenses

Posted by Bruno Harbulot <Br...@manchester.ac.uk>.
Thanks for your reply, valid points indeed.
It seems from the latest messages on the original thread that the Maven
team is in fact aware of those issue and is working towards their
resolution by improving the mechanisms.
This is definitely positive. I think the of the problems (for which I
started the thread there) were due to the fact we're in the transition
period and not all the documentation that can be found at various places
is up to date.

Best wishes,

Bruno.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.