Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Allon Mureinik <mu...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/25 08:51:59 UTC

[lang] Why have a HashSetvBitSetTest?

Hi all,

Building commons-lang locally made me notice HashSetvBitSetTest, which made
me wonder why we need it as a unit test.

I'm guessing it was originally used to support a design decision about
which data structure to use. But having done it, we now have  a relatively
slow test (on my machine - 0.582 seconds out of a total seconds it takes to
mvn test ~ 2.1%), which prints to stdout, and doesn't test any
functionality of the code provided in commons-lang.

Wouldn't it make more sense to @Ignore this test and just run it when a new
jvm/jdk is tested? or even remove it completely?

-Allon

Re: [lang] Why have a HashSetvBitSetTest?

Posted by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net>.
Hi Allon,

there is this issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-1110 and
this pull request: https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/pull/182 which
plan to convert the test to a JMH based benchmark.

I think the plan was to merge the pull request soon. If that does not
happen, I'm +1 to ignoring the test.

Cheers,
Pascal