Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chuck Carson <ch...@syrrx.com> on 2002/10/01 23:02:14 UTC

ARG! Startup problems under Solaris

I do not know what I have done wrong this time, but I have installed
tomcat at least 50 different times on Solaris 8, but this time I have
this problem.

Here is what the log says when I first start the server, as root, on
port 80:

[INFO] Http11Protocol - -Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 80
Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.1
[INFO] Http11Protocol - -Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 80
[INFO] ChannelSocket - -JK2: ajp13 listening on tcp port 8009
[INFO] JkMain - -Jk running ID=0 time=8/36
config=/usr/local/tomcat4/conf/jk2.properties

After the first web access I get the "Document contains no data" page
and this in the log file:

[ERROR] Http11Protocol - -Error reading request, ignored
<java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError>
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
         at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.getInputStream(PlainSocketImpl.java:477)
         at java.net.Socket$1.run(Socket.java:330)
         at java.net.Socket.getInputStream(Socket.java:327)
         at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:367)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:508)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:533)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)
[ERROR] Http11Protocol - -Error reading request, ignored
<java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError>

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
CC

--
Chuck Carson
Sr. Systems Administrator

Re: ARG! Startup problems under Solaris

Posted by Rick Fincher <rn...@tbird.com>.
Hi Chuck,

What version of Tomcat and the JDK?  If you are not running JDK 1.4, are you
sure you didn't get the lightweight version of Tomcat?  It only works with
JDK 1.4.

Rick

> I do not know what I have done wrong this time, but I have installed
> tomcat at least 50 different times on Solaris 8, but this time I have
> this problem.
>
> Here is what the log says when I first start the server, as root, on
> port 80:
>
> [INFO] Http11Protocol - -Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 80
> Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
> Apache Tomcat/4.1
> [INFO] Http11Protocol - -Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 80
> [INFO] ChannelSocket - -JK2: ajp13 listening on tcp port 8009
> [INFO] JkMain - -Jk running ID=0 time=8/36
> config=/usr/local/tomcat4/conf/jk2.properties
>
> After the first web access I get the "Document contains no data" page
> and this in the log file:
>

> [ERROR] Http11Protocol - -Error reading request, ignored
> <java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError>
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
>          at
> java.net.PlainSocketImpl.getInputStream(PlainSocketImpl.java:477)
>          at java.net.Socket$1.run(Socket.java:330)
>          at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
>          at java.net.Socket.getInputStream(Socket.java:327)
>          at

ction(Http11Protocol.java:367)
>          at
> org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:508)
>          at

a:533)

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>