Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by St...@brown.edu on 2006/03/10 15:19:11 UTC

installation process for apacheds-1.0-RC1

Sorry to pollute the -dev list with what is obviously a -user type
question, but your web site no longer lists a -user list.

I have some experience with apacheDS 0.9.2, and recently tried to
move up to your apacheds-1.0-RC1 release. I'm trying to install it on
OS X 10.4. I downloaded this file

apacheds-1.0-RC1-macosx-ppc-setup.jar

the filetype clearly indicates you've changed your packaging from
previous releases.....

can someone provide a short cookbook, describing what I should do
with this file?

thanks!

Re: installation process for apacheds-1.0-RC1

Posted by St...@brown.edu.
At 4:49 PM +0200 3/10/06, Ersin Er wrote:
>You may give it a try with:
>
>java -jar apacheds-1.0-RC1-macosx-ppc-setup.jar

thanks -- that did it.

Last night, I had ssh'ed to a machine in the office, and had entered
that command. Nothing noticeable happened -- which is not surprising,
now that I see that the installer displays some windows on the
machine where its actually running.....

Re: installation process for apacheds-1.0-RC1

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Steven_Carmody@brown.edu wrote:
> Sorry to pollute the -dev list with what is obviously a -user type
> question, but your web site no longer lists a -user list.
We're using the dev list as a user list also. I think we may have a user
list soon.
> I have some experience with apacheDS 0.9.2, and recently tried to move
> up to your apacheds-1.0-RC1 release. I'm trying to install it on OS X
> 10.4. I downloaded this file
>
> apacheds-1.0-RC1-macosx-ppc-setup.jar
>
> the filetype clearly indicates you've changed your packaging from
> previous releases.....
>
> can someone provide a short cookbook, describing what I should do with
> this file?
You may give it a try with:

java -jar apacheds-1.0-RC1-macosx-ppc-setup.jar

This should start graphical the installer. At the end of the process a
service should be installed to your system. (Sorry I do not know much
about MacOSX, so I cannot say where the service is installed and how it
can be started).
> thanks!
Cheers,
--