Posted to issues@maven.apache.org by Brendan Miller <ca...@catphive.net> on 2014/03/30 00:14:57 UTC

first step in getting started tutorial broken

In the main tutorial located here:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/getting-started/index.html

The very first step fails:

mvn archetype:generate \
  -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.maven.archetypes \
  -DgroupId=com.mycompany.app \
  -DartifactId=my-app

With this error message:

[INFO] Generating project in Interactive mode
[INFO] No archetype defined. Using maven-archetype-quickstart
(org.apache.maven.archetypes:maven-archetype-quickstart:1.0)
Choose archetype:

Could someone either:

1. Explain why this doesn't work and how to fix it.

2. Fix the tutorial so that it does work.

It's disconcerting if the very first introductory docs for a project are broken.

Thanks,

Brendan Miller

Re: first step in getting started tutorial broken

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.
On 3/29/2014 4:14 PM, Brendan Miller wrote:
> In the main tutorial located here:
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/getting-started/index.html
>
> The very first step fails:
>
> mvn archetype:generate \
> -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.maven.archetypes \
> -DgroupId=com.mycompany.app \ -DartifactId=my-app
>

> With this error message:
>

> [INFO] Generating project in Interactive mode [INFO] No archetype
> defined. Using maven-archetype-quickstart
> (org.apache.maven.archetypes:maven-archetype-quickstart:1.0) Choose
> archetype:
>

> Could someone either:
>
> 1. Explain why this doesn't work and how to fix it.
>
> 2. Fix the tutorial so that it does work.
>

> It's disconcerting if the very first introductory docs for a project
> are broken.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Brendan Miller

What happens if you hit the return key?