Posted to dev@trafodion.apache.org by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/18 04:34:41 UTC

Which contributor list is accurate?

Hi,

I find THREE places where contributors are recorded:

1. Master pom.xml
2. https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TRAFODION/Contributors
3. http://incubator.apache.org/projects/trafodion.html

Which one is the most accurate?

Gunnar

Re: Which contributor list is accurate?

Posted by Roberta Marton <ro...@esgyn.com>.
The third list is correct. I just updated it Monday with all the changes.

   Roberta

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
That is a good idea. No need to maintain information in multiple places. It
only adds to the confusion.

As for the contributors lists (either with or without role references), we
now need to maintain the following:

   1.  Incubator project page:
   http://incubator.apache.org/projects/trafodion.html
   2. Wiki page:
   https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TRAFODION/Contributors
   3. Website (via pom):
   http://trafodion.incubator.apache.org/team-list.html

And later on, after graduation, there will be a other overview

   1. http://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html
   2. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/committee/

The separation as shown on the website and managed through pom is nice, but
we have to keep in mind that all participants in this project are
contributors. It just happens to be so that some have privileges (at
different levels).

The projects I am involved in do it differently:

   1. The Directory project has static pages (cms style), which are
   maintained in a separate repository:
   http://directory.apache.org/team.html
   2. The OFBiz project maintains their lists in wiki pages,
      1.
      https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/Apache+OFBiz+PMC+Members+and+Committers
      2.
      https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Apache+OFBiz+Contributors

This project will have to decide what we will have as our leading source.
And communicate this clearly to all involved parties, so that confusion
(also regarding its maintenance) and maintenance is as minimal as possible.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*OFBiz Extensions Marketplace*
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <gu...@esgyn.com>.
Hi Enis,

I never saw an answer to this one?

Thanks,

Gunnar

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi Enis,

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hans Zeller <ha...@esgyn.com>.
Filed a JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TRAFODION-1640.

Hans

Posted by Dave Birdsall <da...@esgyn.com>.
+1

Posted by Roberta Marton <ro...@esgyn.com>.
+1

Me too

   Roberta

Posted by Venkat Muthuswamy <ve...@esgyn.com>.
+1

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hans Zeller <ha...@esgyn.com>.

    <url>https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TRAFODION/Contributors

Posted by Suresh Subbiah <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Suresh,

Posted by Carol Pearson <ca...@gmail.com>.
HI Suresh,

This page:  https://community.apache.org/contributors/ outlines
the"contributor" in far-ranging terms:

Anyone can be a contributor to an Apache project. Being a contributor
simply means that you take an interest in the project and contribute in
some way, ranging from asking sensible questions (which documents the
project and provides feedback to developers) through to providing new
features as patches.

If you become a valuable contributor to the project you may well be invited
to become a committer. Committer is an term used at the ASF to signify
someone who is committed to a particular project. It brings with it the
privilege of write access to the project repository and resources. In many
projects committers are also invited to be part of the core group within
the project that ensures the project's vitality (represented by the Project
Management Committee, PMC). In a few projects a only a subset of
committers, who have earned even more merit, are invited to be a part of
the PMC.

One thing that is sometimes hard to understand when you are new to the open
development1 process used at the ASF, is that we value the community more
than the code. A strong and healthy community will be respectful and be a
fun and rewarding place. Strong code will evolve.

It does not say what it takes to get listed because it sounds like that's
community-decided.  I think the ICLA plus an announced intent to contribute
(or *de facto *contribute by participating on an email list) is probably
sufficient to be listed.  We want to be welcoming and open.

-Carol P.

Posted by Suresh Subbiah <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.