Posted to dev@kylin.apache.org by "Garg, Himani" <hi...@amazon.com.INVALID> on 2023/03/13 23:16:58 UTC

Connect kylin 3.1.3 to Microsoft Excel

Hi Team,

I have installed Kylin 3.1.3 on EMR. I am trying to report cube data into excel.

Does kylin support ODBC driver way to connect to excel? Reference - https://kylin.apache.org/docs31/tutorial/powerbi.html

Do we need to use MDX to connect to excel? Installing MDX would mean, we need to have another hop to get data into excel and user will need to know MDX query language?

Do we have any demo for kylin to excel connectivity?

Any leads will be appreciated?

Best,
Himani Garg

Re: Connect kylin 3.1.3 to Microsoft Excel

Posted by ShaoFeng Shi <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi Grag,

To connect from Excel, MDX service is recommended:
https://kylin.apache.org/docs/tutorial/quick_start_for_mdx.html

If using the Kylin ODBC driver, it can only load all the raw data into
Excel at once, which doesn't fit for the big data scenario. While with MDX,
it can
generate queries based on user selection, only matched result data be
returned.

Best regards,

Shaofeng Shi 史少锋
Apache Kylin PMC,