Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Judy Anderson <JA...@rocketsoftware.com> on 2008/01/24 21:11:21 UTC

Variable numbers of s to

One of our steps involves calling a Java program which takes a number of arguments, and the last few are varargs, for lack of a better description. I have a list, e.g., "foo,bar,baz", in a property, which should be mapped to foo.jar, bar.jar, and baz.jar as the final arguments. I spent a little time trying to figure out how to make some kind of a mapper get the ".jar" appended (unsuccessfully, if someone wants to help me decode the documentation about those), but then I suddenly had the realization that I wasn't going to be able to pass them to Java in the end, because I don't have a way to construct an unknown number of <arg> elements.

Or do I and I just haven't found it?

Judy Anderson
Rocket Software

RE: Variable numbers of s to

Posted by Judy Anderson <JA...@rocketsoftware.com>.
YES!  Where would I have learned about the line="xxx" format of <arg>?  The only examples under <java> are value="xxx".  Oh, I see if I drill down hard enough I find an example that isn't about running java but apparently uses the same structure.  Well, thanks for finding it for me, sorry to be a bother...  I kind of wish there was an index for these nested elements like there is for tasks so I could look them up by name rather than happening upon their definitions by chance.  Or not, as in this case ;-)

Re: Variable numbers of s to

Posted by Judy Anderson <JA...@rocketsoftware.com>.

Re: Variable numbers of s to

Posted by Dominique Devienne <dd...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 24, 2008 2:11 PM, Judy Anderson <JA...@rocketsoftware.com> wrote:
> One of our steps involves calling a Java program which takes a number of arguments, and the last few are varargs, for lack of a better description. I have a list, e.g., "foo,bar,baz", in a property, which should be mapped to foo.jar, bar.jar, and baz.jar as the final arguments. I spent a little time trying to figure out how to make some kind of a mapper get the ".jar" appended (unsuccessfully, if someone wants to help me decode the documentation about those), but then I suddenly had the realization that I wasn't going to be able to pass them to Java in the end, because I don't have a way to construct an unknown number of <arg> elements.

Sorry, but this sounds a bit unusual. Can you detail what you are
trying to achieve at a higher level? And after that, provide maybe
examples of the command line you are trying to replicate with Ant, and
why it must be generated from a single property?

Sometimes by taking a step back and showing us the big picture, we see
a completely different way to something. Thanks, --DD