Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Andrew Ford <an...@icarus.demon.co.uk> on 1998/05/27 22:37:58 UTC

cronolog log rotation program and quick reference card

I have had a message from Martin Kraemer asking whether I would donate
my cronolog program to the Apache Group.  This program writes to
files, the names of which are specified by a strftime format string;
it closes the current file and opens a new file at the appropriate
times.  There was a mention of it in ApacheWeek in December 1996 and
at that time I offered it to the group on this list.  The offer is
still open.

Also I have an Apache quick reference card that I wrote in September
1996 for 1.2beta!  It is written in LaTeX for for European A4 and US
letter paper in two-sided, triplefold format (the individual pages are
manipulated with pstops).  I need to update it for 1.3 but the group
is welcome to that too as a contribution to the documentation effort.

Regards
Andrew
--
Andrew Ford                             Email: A.Ford@ford-mason.co.uk
Director, Ford & Mason Ltd.             WWW:   http://www.ford-mason.co.uk/aford/

Re: cronolog log rotation program and quick reference card

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Martin Kraemer wrote:

> On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 09:37:58PM +0100, Andrew Ford wrote:
> > I have had a message from Martin Kraemer asking whether I would donate
> > my cronolog program to the Apache Group.  This program writes to
> > files, the names of which are specified by a strftime format string;
> > it closes the current file and opens a new file at the appropriate
>
> It sure beats the included rotatelog program, because the generated names
> are predictable. The rotatelog simply uses %ld for what time(NULL)
> returns

That doesn't make it unpredictable. But I agree that cronolog sounds
much cooler...

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: cronolog log rotation program and quick reference card

Posted by Martin Kraemer <ma...@hyperreal.org>.
On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 09:37:58PM +0100, Andrew Ford wrote:
> I have had a message from Martin Kraemer asking whether I would donate
> my cronolog program to the Apache Group.  This program writes to
> files, the names of which are specified by a strftime format string;
> it closes the current file and opens a new file at the appropriate

It sure beats the included rotatelog program, because the generated names
are predictable. The rotatelog simply uses %ld for what time(NULL)
returns, while Andrew's program can automatically create subdirectories as
needed, like in
  TransferLog "|/usr/.../bin/cronolog /usr/.../logs/%Y/%m/%d/access_log"

I tried it, it's definitely useful. I asked Andrew to change the license
from GPL to something we could integrate.

> Also I have an Apache quick reference card that I wrote in September
> 1996 for 1.2beta!  It is written in LaTeX for for European A4 and US
> letter paper in two-sided, triplefold format (the individual pages are
> manipulated with pstops).  I need to update it for 1.3 but the group
> is welcome to that too as a contribution to the documentation effort

Ah - I wondered how you'd created that. It looks very nice (but I
wonder if one page is enough for what 1.3.x offers ;-)

+1 from me.

   Martin

Re: cronolog log rotation program and quick reference card

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On 28 May 1998, Andrew Ford wrote:

> I have also been meaning since 1996 to rewrite cronolog as
> mod_cronolog -- merging the code with mod_log_config.c, since a number
> sites using cronolog complain about the number of cronolog processes.
> I have not yet got round to it, but it is the logical thing to do.

"logical" depends on your point of view ;)  I don't think it's logical...
I think mod_log_config should be as simple as possible.  External programs
can do whatever complexity the local site requires.

You could decrease the number of processes by reading a virtualhost name
from the beginning of each line and use that to decide what file to log
in...

Dean

Re: cronolog log rotation program and quick reference card

Posted by Andrew Ford <an...@icarus.demon.co.uk>.
Martin.Kraemer@mch.sni.de (Martin Kraemer) writes:

> On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 09:37:58PM +0100, Andrew Ford wrote:
> > I have had a message from Martin Kraemer asking whether I would donate
> > my cronolog program to the Apache Group.  This program writes to
> > files, the names of which are specified by a strftime format string;
> > it closes the current file and opens a new file at the appropriate
> > times.
>
> It sure beats the included rotatelog program, because the generated names
> are predictable. The rotatelog simply uses %ld for what time(NULL)
> returns, while Andrew's program can automatically create subdirectories as
> needed, like in
>   TransferLog "|/usr/.../bin/cronolog /usr/.../logs/%Y/%m/%d/access_log"
>
> I tried it, it's definitely useful. I asked Andrew to change the license
> from GPL to something we could integrate.

I have no objection to replacing my company's copyright with the
Apache copyright and the Apache license being applied to cronolog
(actually the current license terms are identical to those of Perl,
i.e. GPL or Artistic license).

Posted by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@mch.sni.de>.