Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Zo...@Bertelsmann.de on 1999/11/16 09:54:22 UTC

hot-plugin

dear All,

i'd like to know more about tomcat and JSP. i've a problem under tengah when i create a JSPbean and i always have to restart the server to take effect. so there's no "hot-plugin" for JSPbeans. The JSPs working nince and recompiles when necessary.

tomcat has hot-plugin?

thanks,
Zoltán

Re: Distrbutable deployment descriptor

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com>.
> Is there any information on how (or if) Tomcat uses the "distributable"
> deployment descriptor?

No. Tomcat doesn't distribute requests across servlet container VM
instances at this point. If there is a time where the same web app can
be distributed among VM instances on tomcat, then the distributable
semantics kick in.

> I read the 2.2 spec but it seems a little vauge on
> what it means (i.e. it's behavior is up to the servlet container).
> Specifically in my current project I'm working with moving a client from a
> non-secure to a secure (Apache-SSL) ServletContext on another machine and
> currently have rolled my own session serialization mechanism (writing
> serialized sesssions into and out of a database with JDBC) so that I can add
> to the session object in the SSL ServletContext and then return that session
> back when the user is redirected out of the SSL ServletContext.   I'm just
> wondering if there is any inherent mechanism to do this in Tomcat or if I
> should just continue doing what I'm doing.

Actually, the way Tomcat is set up, you should be able to forward secure
and non secure requests to the same web application. Costin would know
more about how to set such a setup up.

.duncan

Re: Distrbutable deployment descriptor

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com>.
> Thanks for the info.  When you say forward secure and non-secure requests to
> the same web app I'm still confused.  I my case, I have 2 separate machines,
> one running Apache/SSL/Tomcat and one running Apache/Tomcat which need to
> pass session data back and forth or at least be able to write to the same
> session object.  Doesn't this imply that the servlet is being distributed or
> do you mean that with Tomcat the 2 servers can share the same VM/container
> across the 2 machines (which would be fine with me).

Ah -- what I was talking about as a solution would be

Node 1: Apache/mod_*/Tomcat <--+

Node 2: Apache/SSL/mod_* ------+

Where tomcat ran on one in one place and was "shared" between the SSL
and non-ssl versions. However, if you are using two different machines,
then there are all sorts of issues with sharing the cookie used to hold
the session, etc. In that case, you may be better off with a solution
where the data is held in a shared database and keyed into in other
ways.

.duncan

Re: Distrbutable deployment descriptor

Posted by Mike Engelhart <me...@earthtrip.com>.
> Actually, the way Tomcat is set up, you should be able to forward secure
> and non secure requests to the same web application. Costin would know
> more about how to set such a setup up.

Thanks for the info.  When you say forward secure and non-secure requests to
the same web app I'm still confused.  I my case, I have 2 separate machines,
one running Apache/SSL/Tomcat and one running Apache/Tomcat which need to
pass session data back and forth or at least be able to write to the same
session object.  Doesn't this imply that the servlet is being distributed or
do you mean that with Tomcat the 2 servers can share the same VM/container
across the 2 machines (which would be fine with me).

Thanks again,
Mike

Re: Distrbutable deployment descriptor

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com>.

Posted by Mike Engelhart <me...@earthtrip.com>.
Hi

Is there any information on how (or if) Tomcat uses the "distributable"
deployment descriptor?  I read the 2.2 spec but it seems a little vauge on
what it means (i.e. it's behavior is up to the servlet container).
Specifically in my current project I'm working with moving a client from a
non-secure to a secure (Apache-SSL) ServletContext on another machine and
currently have rolled my own session serialization mechanism (writing
serialized sesssions into and out of a database with JDBC) so that I can add
to the session object in the SSL ServletContext and then return that session
back when the user is redirected out of the SSL ServletContext.   I'm just
wondering if there is any inherent mechanism to do this in Tomcat or if I
should just continue doing what I'm doing.

Thanks for any advice,

Mike