Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by mickhayes <mi...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/21 16:10:37 UTC

Re: FIPS 140-2

I came across this FIPS topic on introduction of Mozilla NSS in our
organisation (we have a fairly detailed procedure when new FOSS software is
introduced.)

To answer the question, ActiveMQ isn't on the published lists, so the answer
is no -a product is not compliant until it has been certified as such.
Once a module is validated, then it's on the validated lists:
http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp/documents/140-1/140val-all.htm

However, I would question whether ActiveMQ needs to be - perhaps a "FIPS
mode" would suffice.

Consider NSS. Now it's validated - FIPS 140-2 compliant. So Firefox has a
FIPS mode. Once you have a password for your "encryption device" you can
turn on FIPS mode.

ActiveMQ - like Firefox -doesn't itself own or develop any cryptographic
modules.
At a simple level, for encrypted passwords, the Apache V2-licensed jasypt
library is used http://www.jasypt.org
Jasypt relies on JCE.

You can see on csrc.nist.gov which JCE modules have been validated as
compliant.

Note the concept of "FIPS mode" - explained well here:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/NSS/FIPS_Mode_-_an_explanation

-----
Michael Hayes B.Sc. (NUI), M.Sc. (DCU), SCSA SCNA

Re: FIPS 140-2

Posted by mickhayes <mi...@gmail.com>.
I'm not aware of any such thing.
As it would be useful for some customers, I would imagine it would be
well-advertised (and it is not.)

You would /ideally /have a FIPS mode in ActiveMQ, which when switched on,
would call
FIPS_mode_set() so ALL encryption would be done by the FIPS Object Module.

However, I note there is another way to do this in *5.2 "FIPS Mode
Initialization" of the User Guide* with “fips_mode = yes” hardcoded in the
openssl config file.

Is that good enough?

Sorry I'm not in a position to try it out...

-----
Michael Hayes B.Sc. (NUI), M.Sc. (DCU), SCSA SCNA

Re: FIPS 140-2

Posted by jerbia <je...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Michael for the detailed reply!
Do you know what is the case for OpenSSL, used by ActiveMQ for secured
communication (ssl)?
Are there any ActiveMQ distribution compiled with a FIPS-complaint openSSL
version (http://www.openssl.org/docs/fips/fipsnotes.html)?

Thanks,
Amir