Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Barry Martin <Ba...@Larsenfarms.com> on 2002/05/09 00:00:15 UTC

How to start up Tomcat

Hello,

I have Tomcat 4.0.3 installed and it will run all the examples. When I save
a simple servlet to the <Tomcat-install>\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF directory I
get a 404 error. This is standalone on a Win2000 pro machine. I am in the
process of learning servlets and JSP and the book I have gives this as the
instructions for saving the servlets in the book. When I start Tomcat I get
a dos window and the lines come up saying: Starting service
Tomcat-Standalone
			Apache Tomcat/4.0.1
			Starting service Tomcat-Apache
			Apache Tomcat/4.0.1
This is all that displays. I have emailed the authors but no response. Any
help is appreciated.

Barry Martin