Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> on 2009/03/03 00:50:14 UTC

Re: Error:Portlet Application Not Available

On Feb 26, 2009, at 6:14 AM, Hemant Malik wrote:

> Hi,
> I am facing this peculiar problem while using Jetspeed. Please
> pardon me for
> my over descriptive mail but want to figure out the root of other
> unreliable
> experiences as well that I keep on getting while using Jetspeed.
>
> My application on a whole roughly has the below components:
>
> *a) WebApplication [*JSF 1.2 Application*] - *Contains few jsp pages
> with
> Portlets on them(need for jetspeed)
> *b) birt-viewer         [ *version 2.2.1* ]          - *Which contains
> reports
> *c) Jetspeed war     [ *version 2.1.3* ]*
>
> All three of them gets deployed as separate wars on JBoss [Version
> 4.2.0].
>
> 1) To accommodate portlets in the Web Aplication(*a*) I have added
> portlet.xml to it. In the web.xml of WebApplication I have added the
> following :
> <servlet>
>        <servlet-name>JetspeedContainer</servlet-name>
>        <display-name>Jetspeed Container</display-name>
>        <description>
>            MVC Servlet for Jetspeed Portlet Applications
>        </description>
>        <servlet-class>
>            org.apache.jetspeed.container.JetspeedContainerServlet
>        </servlet-class>
>        <init-param>
>            <param-name>contextName</param-name>
>            <param-value>ReadiONEPortal</param-value>
>        </init-param>
>        <load-on-startup>0</load-on-startup>
> </servlet>
>
> - l do not deploy the Web Application(*a*) inside
> jetspeed.war/web-inf/deploy/ [ Would that be a problem? ]

Should not be a problem, since you added the required servlet entries
in the web.xml. In that case, Jetspeed will automatically register
your application without dropping in the deploy directory

> - birt-viewer(*b*) also has not been integrated with jetspeed(*c*)
> as a
> portlet application [ Would that be a problem? ]

What do you mean by *version 2.2.1 above?
Not sure what you mean by integrated with Jetspeed. We just require
the container servlet for registration, either by (1) dropping in
deploy directory, (2) adding the servlet entry yourself

> Now when I use the application it works fine, until this "Portlet
> Application WebApplication Not Available" error starts coming on the
> screen
> and the only way to get over is to restart the JBoss server. Once I
> start
> the server again, the same portlet works fine until the next time.
> On the
> JBoss server console the errors I get look something like below:

So you are saying that the portlet applications are available for a
while, but then after some time they are not available?
Have you checked the log files? Note that Jetspeed actually keeps log
files in its webapp under the "logs" directory, look under jetspeed.log
Do you actually have a web application named "WebApplication" ... that
sounds like the name used when deploying to JBoss.
Man its been a while since I worked with JBoss and Jetspeed, Im
thinking you need to go through some special deployment and make sure
to give it the same name as the context name in the Jetspeed container
servlet definition in web.xml