Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by The Doctor <do...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> on 2009/03/26 01:22:46 UTC

AWL gone crazy

All right why is AWL going to score 30+  when it was told to go to -1000

as in

score AWL -1000

??

--
Member - Liberal International	This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!

believed to be clean.

Re: AWL gone crazy

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Thu, March 26, 2009 01:22, The Doctor wrote:
> All right why is AWL going to score 30+  when it was told to go to
> -1000 as in
> score AWL -1000

AWL cant be static assigned with score

--
http://localhost/ 100% uptime and 100% mirrored :)

Re: {?} Re: {?} Re: AWL gone crazy

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.
On 26-Mar-2009, at 20:06, Matt Kettler wrote:
> The name "AWL" is misleading and as a member of the SpamAssassin
> Project
> Management Committee, I can say we've talked about changing it many
> times, mostly because it misleads people such as yourself.

Averaging Weight List

Do it! Come on, you know you want to.

--
Wife: Who are you talking to?
Husb: [on phone] Jon

Re: {?} Re: {?} Re: AWL gone crazy

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
The Doctor wrote:

> Key on the word intranet.  This sender is from inside the LAN.
>
> This sender should be score -1000 on the AWL and not +30.

This is 100% wrong. You're fundamentally thinking of the AWL as a
whitelist. Obviously, you've failed to read the wiki.

The AWL is not a whitelist.

Please repeat this out loud 5 times. No really. It's not. Don't think of
it as one.

The name "AWL" is misleading and as a member of the SpamAssassin Project
Management Committee, I can say we've talked about changing it many
times, mostly because it misleads people such as yourself.

Positive AWL scores assigned to nonspam senders, even "intranet" users
is ****NORMAL****!

Provided that the AWL isn't pushing the total score over your
required_score and making them get tagged as spam, this is perfectly
normal and does not mean the AWL thinks the sender is a spammer. Period.

Blank your conceptions about what the AWL is, and read:

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/AwlWrongWay

> Right then spamassassin --remove-addr-from-whitelist
>
> is that spamassassin --remove-addr-from-whitelist <friendly e-mail address>?

That command deletes the AWL entries for a given sender and erases their
score history.

However, please make sure you get your brain around what the AWL really
is, and how it really works, before mucking around.

Re: AWL gone crazy

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 06:55 -0600, The Doctor wrote:

> > http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/AwlWrongWay

> Key on the word intranet.  This sender is from inside the LAN.
>
> This sender should be score -1000 on the AWL and not +30.

Nope. AWL is based on the senders email address, the originating net
block and the past history. That's it. There's no concept of "internal
network" in there.

Since it's generated inside your internal network, ALL_TRUSTED should
fire. Maybe you need to correct your internal and trusted networks
settings.

> Right then spamassassin --remove-addr-from-whitelist
>
> is that spamassassin --remove-addr-from-whitelist <friendly e-mail address>?

As per the docs, it is --remove-addr-from-whitelist=addr

Note the equals sign here, and no space. Also its irrelevant if it is a
friendly, hostile or just plain forged address...

Anyway, what was the overall score for that message, and which rules
fired?

What about the past messages scores and hits? You'll need that info to
find out why AWL suddenly "goes crazy". The above is just a quick fix,
though not necessarily a solution.

Re: {?} Re: {?} Re: AWL gone crazy

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 26.03.09 06:55, The Doctor wrote:
> Key on the word intranet.  This sender is from inside the LAN.
>
> This sender should be score -1000 on the AWL and not +30.

The most important question from Mark was:

>> Well, was the message really low scoring, despite the +30 AWL score?

you didn't answert that, did you?

> Right then spamassassin --remove-addr-from-whitelist
>
> is that spamassassin --remove-addr-from-whitelist <friendly e-mail address>?

the poing ot AWL is, if sender usually scores low, (s)he should score low
even if (s)he sends something spammy, and vice versa. The poinit not to
whitelist sender by -1000. The whitelist_from* is for this.

Linux is like a teepee: no Windows, no Gates and an apache inside...

Re: {?} Re: {?} Re: AWL gone crazy

Posted by The Doctor <do...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca>.

Re: {?} Re: AWL gone crazy

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.

Re: {?} Re: AWL gone crazy

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Benny Pedersen wrote:
> On Thu, March 26, 2009 13:22, The Doctor wrote:
>
>> All right then this is really odd!!!
>> The person has always sent me mail from the intranet no problem.
>> I just updated the perl to 5.10.0 threading
>> and then I am like how did AWL change?
>>

> spammers begin to use your friends email addr as sender, awl sees this
>
> to fight back, use spf on mta

That shouldn't happen, unless your spammers are also using your friends
ISP.. or your trusted_networks is broken.

An AWL entry is defined by two fields. email address, and the top two
bytes of the IP address of the first untrusted host.

So If I send you email, it would be:

mkettler_sa@verizon.net|ip=206.46

206.46.173.7 being the verizon server that my emails goes out over.

If Karsten Braeckelmann (picking another person off the thread) forged
my address, the AWL entry would be this:

mkettler_sa@verizon.net|ip=213.157

Because 213.157.0.165 is Karsten's outbound server.

To the AWL, these are two different senders, with different score
histories. Karsten can forge my address all he likes, and it won't
affect what the AWL thinks of email I send.

Re: {?} Re: AWL gone crazy

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.

Re: {?} Re: AWL gone crazy

Posted by The Doctor <do...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca>.

Re: AWL gone crazy

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.

Re: AWL gone crazy

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:22:46 -0600
The Doctor <do...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:

> All right why is AWL going to score 30+  when it was told to go to
> -1000
>
> as in
>
> score AWL -1000

the AWL score is calculated, see the wiki page