Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/03/07 14:40:37 UTC

[classlib] do we have any current instances where we've chosen to disagree with the spec or RI?

If so, lets be sure to log them in JIRA - I created a category for this
(I forget the name, but it will be obvious...)

geir

Re: [classlib] do we have any current instances where we've chosen to disagree with the spec or RI?

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Yes we do.  I'm not convinced that logging them in JIRA is the right
> thing -- I'd like to see them a bit closer to the code.

Having them in JIRA doesn't exclude doing anything else, just serves as
an additional tracking system - a central directory of how we deviate so
we can keep easy track of the status of any deviation.

> IMHO when we agree on a departure from the spec/RI then the differences
> should be embodied in an API test case.   We should expect the test to
> pass on harmony code, and fail on the RI -- then add that test to the RI
> exclusion list so that all our remaining API tests pass on the RI.  The
> exclusion list will become the repository of differences.  We can
> address each exclusion if/when they are resolved in the RI.

That works, but a set of test cases doesn't capture what I was hoping to
find in the JIRA, such as a simple way to search, and english-language
description.  THe JIRA should point to the test case, and a mail archive
of the discussion of the decision.

geir

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

--