Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2002/07/02 14:47:45 UTC

RE: Delaying the release?

Hello?

Anyone still interested in a 2.0.3 release?

Carsten

Does anyone know the second track on the Genesis-Abacab album?

RE: Delaying the release?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> >Does anyone know the second track on the Genesis-Abacab album?
> >

> "No reply at all" ?

Yupp: Sylvain, un point.

Re: Delaying the release?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Does anyone know the second track on the Genesis-Abacab album?

"No reply at all" ?

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez

RE: FOUND! Re: compiling/running dev-snapshot [was: Re: Delaying the release?]

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Ok, thanks for this great information!
>
> Now, after some investigation, it seems that the BucketMap used in
> the excalibur component manager is the "culprit", because the handlers
> are not initialized in the order they are defined in the cocoon.xconf
> but any arbitrary order.

Confirmed, the handlers are not initialized in the order they appear in
the cocoon.xconf. Ok, let's see what the Avalon team says...

Carsten

RE: FOUND! Re: compiling/running dev-snapshot [was: Re: Delaying the release?]

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Michael Enke wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> >
> > Michael Enke wrote:
> > >

> > > esql.xsp also doesn't work. Reason:
> > > The JdbcConnectionFactory is instantiated
> > > !BEFORE!
> > > hsqldb is started.
> > > Please change this.
> > >
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > how did you find this out and do you have a suggestion how to
> > achieve this? Because simply putting the hsqldb in the
> > cocoon.xconf doesn't work.
>
> I thought that this is a configuration issue. Is it not?
> I downloaded excalibur and put in some System.out.println().
> In JdbcConnectionFactory there is the call
> m_firstConnection = DriverManager.getConnection( m_dburl,
> m_username, m_password );
> and this failed. That's why clazz is null -> m_class is null ->
> throw new NoValidConnectionException( "No valid JdbcConnection
> class available" );
>
> I put in some System.out.println() in the constructor and realized the
> hsqldb output from start is always after my println even if I put
> in 30 or 60 seconds delay.

Ok, thanks for this great information!

Now, after some investigation, it seems that the BucketMap used in
the excalibur component manager is the "culprit", because the handlers
are not initialized in the order they are defined in the cocoon.xconf
but any arbitrary order.

> > And why is this only with JDK 1.4?
> I have no JDK 1.3 or lower so I cann't investigate.
> Maybe with a clean checkout this happens also to JDK1.3 or earlier.

Perhaps this is the difference between 1.3 and 1.4: the BucketMap acts
different.

Ok, I will further investigate.

Thanks
Carsten

Re: FOUND! Re: compiling/running dev-snapshot [was: Re: Delaying the release?]

Posted by "Enke, Michael" <mi...@wincor-nixdorf.com>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Michael Enke wrote:
> >

> > esql.xsp also doesn't work. Reason:
> > The JdbcConnectionFactory is instantiated
> > !BEFORE!
> > hsqldb is started.
> > Please change this.
> >
> Hi Michael,
>
> how did you find this out and do you have a suggestion how to
> achieve this? Because simply putting the hsqldb in the
> cocoon.xconf doesn't work.

I thought that this is a configuration issue. Is it not?
I downloaded excalibur and put in some System.out.println().
In JdbcConnectionFactory there is the call
m_firstConnection = DriverManager.getConnection( m_dburl, m_username, m_password );
and this failed. That's why clazz is null -> m_class is null ->
throw new NoValidConnectionException( "No valid JdbcConnection class available" );

I put in some System.out.println() in the constructor and realized the
hsqldb output from start is always after my println even if I put in 30 or 60 seconds delay.

> And why is this only with JDK 1.4?
I have no JDK 1.3 or lower so I cann't investigate.
Maybe with a clean checkout this happens also to JDK1.3 or earlier.

Michael

RE: FOUND! Re: compiling/running dev-snapshot [was: Re: Delaying the release?]

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by "Enke, Michael" <mi...@wincor-nixdorf.com>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Michael Enke wrote:

> ok, it is 2.1
> In that case it is probably not a good idea to test for upcoming 2.0.3
> with dev-snapshot. Whats about an auto generated dev-snapshot for the
> stable 2.0.<latest+1> branch?

I don't know anything about the dev-snapshots. But you're right this
is a good idea.
Does anyone know who to ask for this (Pier or Sam?) ?
As far as the database problem and JDK 1.4 is concerned, both versions
should be identical (I hope), so you could test it with the dev-snapshot
as well.

> Ok, I can ignore them. But is it in 2.0.3 branch too?
> If yes and we want to make a new release this should be corrected.
Yes, absolutely!

> > > If I start tomcat (4.0.3 on Linux SuSE 7.2) I get a "Resource
> not found":
> > This should be due to the movement of the samples. Try to
> > invoke "http://localhost/cocoon/samples/welcome".
>
> Unfortunately this gives also an exception:
> type fatal

Yes, I'm aware of this. There are some bugs in the current build.xml
but as CVS is currently not working, I can't fix them.
I have attached a working version of the build script, so if you use
this and make a new build from a clean version, you should at least
see the examples. I can't guarantee that the esql examples are working
100% correctly, but the SQL transformer example
(http://localhost/cocoon/samples/sql/sql-page) shows the problem.

HTH
Carsten

Re: compiling/running dev-snapshot [was: Re: Delaying the release?]

Posted by "Enke, Michael" <mi...@wincor-nixdorf.com>.
Hi Carsten,

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Michael Enke wrote:
> >
> > What is the difference between HEAD and 2.0.3 branch?
> The HEAD branch is the development branch for 2.1. Everything there
> is considered alpha as we are testing out some new concepts and
> features.
>
> > I'm also such a poor guy who is limited to port 80,
> > so I use the dev-snapshot. What is the dev-snapshot? 2.0.3 or HEAD?
> I assume it's HEAD, you can verify this by looking into the build.xml
> file which contains the version number.

ok, it is 2.1
In that case it is probably not a good idea to test for upcoming 2.0.3
with dev-snapshot. Whats about an auto generated dev-snapshot for the
stable 2.0.<latest+1> branch?

> > I downloaded xml-cocoon2_20020702162200.tar.gz
> > What is the javac version excalibur is compiled?
> >
> The last time I did it, it was JDK 1.4 with 1.2 compatibility mode.

Anybody know how to check this?

> > From compiling I get a lot of warnings about javadoc:
> > Constructing Javadoc information...
> > Standard Doclet version 1.4.0
> > warning - Tag @see cannot be used in inline documentation.
> > warning - @created is an unknown tag.
> > Generating /home/me/xml-cocoon2/build/cocoon/javadocs/help-doc.html...
> > 36 warnings
> >
> Ignore them...some of us have invented new tags....

Ok, I can ignore them. But is it in 2.0.3 branch too?
If yes and we want to make a new release this should be corrected.

> > If I start tomcat (4.0.3 on Linux SuSE 7.2) I get a "Resource not found":
> This should be due to the movement of the samples. Try to
> invoke "http://localhost/cocoon/samples/welcome".

Unfortunately this gives also an exception:
type fatal

message Type 'xmldbcollection' is not defined for 'generate' at file:/var/lib/pgsql/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3-LE-jdk14/webapps/cocoon/samples/sitemap.xmap:329:56

description org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException: Type 'xmldbcollection' is not defined for 'generate' at
file:/var/lib/pgsql/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3-LE-jdk14/webapps/cocoon/samples/sitemap.xmap:329:56

I'm willingly to check the esql samples but I'm afraid of not being able to do this
because I have no access to 2.0.3 version.

Michael

RE: compiling/running dev-snapshot [was: Re: Delaying the release?]

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by "Enke, Michael" <mi...@wincor-nixdorf.com>.
What is the difference between HEAD and 2.0.3 branch?
I'm also such a poor guy who is limited to port 80,
so I use the dev-snapshot. What is the dev-snapshot? 2.0.3 or HEAD?

I downloaded xml-cocoon2_20020702162200.tar.gz
What is the javac version excalibur is compiled?

>From compiling I get a lot of warnings about javadoc:
Constructing Javadoc information...
Standard Doclet version 1.4.0
warning - Tag @see cannot be used in inline documentation.
warning - @created is an unknown tag.
Generating /home/me/xml-cocoon2/build/cocoon/javadocs/help-doc.html...
36 warnings

If I start tomcat (4.0.3 on Linux SuSE 7.2) I get a "Resource not found":
sitemap.log:
DEBUG   (2002-07-03) 09:21.55:506   [sitemap] (/cocoon/) HttpProcessor[8080][1]/TreeProcessor: TreeProcessor built in 4.515 secs from jndi:/localhost/cocoon/sitemap.xmap
INFO    (2002-07-03) 09:21.55:540   [sitemap] (/cocoon/) HttpProcessor[8080][1]/PipelineNode: No pipeline matched request:
WARN    (2002-07-03) 09:21.55:542   [sitemap] (/cocoon/) HttpProcessor[8080][1]/PipelineNode: Resource not found in pipeline at jndi:/localhost/cocoon/sitemap.xmap:454:17
org.apache.cocoon.ResourceNotFoundException: No pipeline matched request:
        at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PipelineNode.invoke(PipelineNode.java:162)

What is 454:17 in sitemap.xmap?
line 454 is inside a comment, line 17 cann't it be too.

Michael

RE: Delaying the release?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Re: Delaying the release?

Posted by "Enke, Michael" <mi...@wincor-nixdorf.com>.
Of course!

Re: Delaying the release?

Posted by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday, July 2, 2002, at 08:47  AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Anyone still interested in a 2.0.3 release?

Yes, but as we discussed off-list, I am counting on having until Monday
of next week to update a number docs.

I *really* need this additional time. Thanks for all your hard work in
the cvs!

Diana

Re: Delaying the release?

Posted by Stephan Michels <st...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, J.Pietschmann wrote:

> Steven Noels wrote:
> > use http on port 80 due to 'security policies'. That's also one of the
> > reasons why we shouldn't depend too much on people using cvs and related
> > tools for documentation submissions IMHO.
>
> Me too.
> Someone ought to write a HTTP tunnel for CVS.
> Even better: a web service based CM tool. Accepts
> requests over SMTP, HTTP, JMS and other MOM. Oh no,
> I'm dreaming again...

Subversion should work over HTTP. It is a CVS replacement, which
works over a HTTP-based WebDAV/DeltaV protocol.

http://subversion.tigris.org/

Re: Delaying the release?

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Steven Noels wrote:
> use http on port 80 due to 'security policies'. That's also one of the
> reasons why we shouldn't depend too much on people using cvs and related
> tools for documentation submissions IMHO.

Me too.
Someone ought to write a HTTP tunnel for CVS.
Even better: a web service based CM tool. Accepts
requests over SMTP, HTTP, JMS and other MOM. Oh no,
I'm dreaming again...

J.Pietschmann

Re: Delaying the release?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

 >> From: Diana Shannon [mailto:shannon@apache.org]

 >>> I'm, as developer, can work with CVS. Lots of the users can't.

 >> I think this is an education issue which can be addressed down the
 >> road.
 >
 > AFAIU the issue, this is the point in 20% of cases. Other 80% is
 > politics (it was hard enough to persuade usage of open source, and
 > now you have to explain that you need to use unreleased version?),
 > malicious IT (like outbound connections limited to only port 80),
 > other similar reasons I can't even imagine.

Having the experience of trying to persuade *big* Belgian companies to
use open source frameworks, I can only agree with this. There exist
companies out there with literally hundreds of developers that can only
use http on port 80 due to 'security policies'. That's also one of the
reasons why we shouldn't depend too much on people using cvs and related
tools for documentation submissions IMHO.

</Steven>

RE: Delaying the release?

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Diana Shannon [mailto:shannon@apache.org]

> >> I think this is an education issue which can be addressed down the
> > road.
> >
> > AFAIU the issue, this is the point in 20% of cases.
>
> Even if true, 20% equals a lot of users...
>
> > Other 80% is politics
>
> Sure, but educating the 20% may help change the politics as well, over
> time.
>
> > (it was hard enough to persuade usage of open source, and now
> > you have to explain that you need to use unreleased version?),
>
> I wouldn't say "need to use" (as in *required* to use). I would simply
> try to communicate some of the benefits to learning/using an
unreleased
> version...
>
> So much of my conceptual education about Cocoon comes from discussions
> on cocoon-dev. If I didn't have the HEAD cvs, how could I begin to
> follow/appreciate these threads?

I'm *not* against education :)
I'm for 2.0.3 release as it will help to this other 80%

Vadim

Re: Delaying the release?

Posted by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org>.

RE: Delaying the release?

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Diana Shannon [mailto:shannon@apache.org]
>

> On Tuesday, July 2, 2002, at 09:22  AM, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
> > Lots of users.
> >
> > I'm, as developer, can work with CVS. Lots of the users can't.
>
> I think this is an education issue which can be addressed down the
road.

AFAIU the issue, this is the point in 20% of cases. Other 80% is
politics (it was hard enough to persuade usage of open source, and now
you have to explain that you need to use unreleased version?), malicious
IT (like outbound connections limited to only port 80), other similar
reasons I can't even imagine.

PS If I to use Cocoon in project at my current client, I also have to
base development on stable downloadable released version.

Vadim

Re: Delaying the release?

Posted by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org>.

RE: Delaying the release?