Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/28 22:28:30 UTC

5.4-alpha-4 preview release

For all you early adopters ...

5.4-alpha-4 preview release is now available

Maven Repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetapestry-019/

Big improvements:

- URLs for compressed assets are now separate from uncompressed assets
- Many problems with CSS url() rewriting have been fixed
- new tapestry-wro4j library for runtime:
  - CoffeeScript to JavaScript compilation
  - Less to CSS compilation
  - JavaScript minimization
  - CSS minimization

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

RE: 5.4-alpha-4 preview release

Posted by Nomen Nomanum <ge...@outlook.com>.
Sorry, it took me ages before I could retrieve this mail to see new posts and reply. What I meant by dual modding is the ability for any Tapestry user to use whatever JS framework he or she likes. There were rumours that in Tap5.4 Prototype will be once and for all put out of focus, and Prototype activities would be replaced by JQuery. That is what I meant, hope it is now more clear. :)

Posted by Barry Books <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
FYI, due to some minor problems in alpha-4, I'm working on alpha-5 right
now.

I'm starting the work of porting a very large 5.3 app to 5.4.

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 4:31 AM, Barry Books <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tried it out this morning, here is my quick assessment:
>
> I like the new asset paths. I'll try and build an Amazon CloudFront CDN
> this week. I did notice the scripts included by require.js do not have the
> checksums in the urls. Is that correct?

Yes, for modules, there is no checksum in the URL, but there is an ETag
containing the checksum. On the client side, we start knowing only the
module's name ("i.e., "t5/core/events"); without the file content we can't
generate the checksum.

Eventually, I'll include a mechanism to aggregate specific modules into the
JavaScript stack.

> I had one problem getting it to run. I had to add
>
>     <dependency>
>
>       <groupId>org.slf4j</groupId>
>
>       <artifactId>slf4j-log4j12</artifactId>
>
>       <version>1.7.2</version>
>
>     </dependency>
>

> to my pom file. It appears to be in tapestry-core but marked test.

This has been going back and forth; the idea is to not lock you into a
particular SLF4J implementation, at the expense of making you select one.
If this was included as a core dependency and you wanted to switch to, say,
logback, you would have to exclude this dependency then include logback.
 The Maven archetype will include a specific SLF4J implementation.

> I tried Grid with a few Bootstrap styles and it did what I expected. I'm a
> big fan of the new Bootstrap css.

As am I!

Posted by Barry Books <tr...@gmail.com>.