Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Igal @ Lucee.org" <ig...@lucee.org> on 2017/03/22 15:50:02 UTC

Tomcat 8.5.12 Not Responding

I am running an application on Tomcat 8.5.12 on Windows 2008R2 64bit
with Server JRE 1.8.0u121. Right now the process is still running but no
requests are being processed, or take a very long time to process.

For example, I created a simple test.html file with one line of html and
it took several minutes to serve it.

This application has been running on Tomcat 8.5.11 for a while with no
issue, so I suspect some bug may have been introduced in 8.5.12.

STDERR shows the following possibly related entries:

Exception in thread "http-nio-8181-exec-1"
java.lang.IllegalMonitorStateException
     at
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantLock$Sync.tryRelease(ReentrantLock.java:151)
     at
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.release(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:1261)
     at
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantLock.unlock(ReentrantLock.java:457)
     at
java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(LinkedBlockingQueue.java:449)
     at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskQueue.take(TaskQueue.java:103)
     at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskQueue.take(TaskQueue.java:31)
     at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1067)
     at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1127)
     at
     at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Exception in thread "http-nio-8181-exec-6"
[...]

Thread dump is attached.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org <http://lucee.org/>

Re: Tomcat Not Responding (Resolved)

Posted by "Igal @ Lucee.org" <ig...@lucee.org>.
The only thing I saw in stderr were NPE stack traces from the servlet
I'm running which did not seem to include any Tomcat code.

Keep in mind that I'm running Tomcat 8.5.12 so a more current source
repo is available at
https://github.com/apache/tomcat85/

With the file that you cited at
https://github.com/apache/tomcat85/blob/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina/core/StandardServer.java

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org <http://lucee.org/>

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 28/03/17 13:50, Suvendu Sekhar Mondal wrote:
> Sorry for late "chime in".
>
> It seems that your Tomcat JVM was not up properly. From both thread
> dumps showing main thread in TIMED_WAITING waiting state not in
> runnable state :

Your analysis is incorrect. That is normal and expected for the main
thread (it is waiting for a shutdown signal).

Mark

Re: Tomcat Not Responding (Resolved)

Posted by Suvendu Sekhar Mondal <su...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for late "chime in".

It seems that your Tomcat JVM was not up properly. From both thread
dumps showing main thread in TIMED_WAITING waiting state not in
runnable state :

"main" #1 prio=5 os_prio=0 tid=0x0000000001198000 nid=0x2340 waiting
on condition [0x000000000132e000]
   java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (sleeping)
at java.lang.Thread.sleep(Native Method)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.await(StandardServer.java:427)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.await(Catalina.java:743)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:689)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:355)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:495)

   Locked ownable synchronizers:
- None

I went by the source code(which is little bit outdated):
http://grepcode.com/file/repo1.maven.org/maven2/org.apache.tomcat/tomcat-catalina/8.0.24/org/apache/catalina/core/StandardServer.java/

Did you check stderr/stdout log? It should log some error.

Here is snippet of main thread from running Tomcat JVM:

"main" #1 prio=5 os_prio=0 tid=0x0000000001084000 nid=0x2008 runnable
[0x000000000107e000]
   java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.accept0(Native Method)
at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.socketAccept(Unknown Source)
at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.accept(Unknown Source)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(Unknown Source)
- locked <0x00000000fbf67198> (a java.net.SocksSocketImpl)
at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(Unknown Source)
at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.await(StandardServer.java:446)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.await(Catalina.java:713)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:659)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:351)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:485)

   Locked ownable synchronizers:
- None

Thanks!
Suvendu

Posted by "Igal @ Lucee.org" <ig...@lucee.org>.
Chris,

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Tomcat Not Responding (Resolved)

Posted by "Igal @ Lucee.org" <ig...@lucee.org>.

Re: Tomcat Not Responding

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 23/03/17 05:07, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> On 3/22/2017 1:00 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 22/03/17 16:20, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:
>>> Looks like all the threads are waiting on the same lock?
>> Agreed. But I don't see anything holding that lock. That looks like a
>> JVM bug to me.
>
> Thank you for replying.  I managed to "do" it again.  This time on
> Tomcat 8.5.11 so I modified the subject line slightly.  But this time I
> took both a thread dump (attached) and a heap dump.
>
> I should mention that my code utilizes JSR-356 WebSockets, I'm not sure
> if that's related, but it seems to be a factor in reproducing the issue.
>
> I will try to create a reduced test case.
>
> I am hoping that the screenshots below, showing references to and from
> the lock object at 0x00000006c0dbc1b8, can give you some more
> information that may help to diagnose this issue, or at least give some
> ideas about what to look for next:

I took another look and those threads are in the normal state you'd
expect for threads in the pool waiting for work.

If Tomcat is unresponsive, that would suggest a problem with either the
Acceptor or the Poller but both of those threads look normal to.

You are going to need to do some more debugging.

Ideally, you need to configure your favourite IDE to do remote debugging
and then once the problem occurs, step through the code as a single
connection is handled and see where things go wrong.

Based on what I see in the thread dumps (all normal) I'd also check that
your test is doing what it is meant to.

Mark

Re: Tomcat Not Responding (was: Tomcat 8.5.12 Not Responding)

Posted by "Igal @ Lucee.org" <ig...@lucee.org>.
Hi Mark,

On 3/22/2017 1:00 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 22/03/17 16:20, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:
>> Looks like all the threads are waiting on the same lock?
> Agreed. But I don't see anything holding that lock. That looks like a
> JVM bug to me.

Thank you for replying.  I managed to "do" it again.  This time on
Tomcat 8.5.11 so I modified the subject line slightly.  But this time I
took both a thread dump (attached) and a heap dump.

I should mention that my code utilizes JSR-356 WebSockets, I'm not sure
if that's related, but it seems to be a factor in reproducing the issue.

I will try to create a reduced test case.

I am hoping that the screenshots below, showing references to and from
the lock object at 0x00000006c0dbc1b8, can give you some more
information that may help to diagnose this issue, or at least give some
ideas about what to look for next:

Thanks again,

Igal

Re: Tomcat 8.5.12 Not Responding

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Igal @ Lucee.org" <ig...@lucee.org>.

Posted by "Igal @ Lucee.org" <ig...@lucee.org>.
Hi Violeta,

On 3/22/2017 9:20 AM, Violeta Georgieva wrote:
> Please provide information for your Connector configuration (server.xml)

The only connector that is in use is the http connector:

<Connector port="${tomcat.port}" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
connectionTimeout="20000" />

All the others are commented out.

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <vi...@apache.org>.

> I am running an application on Tomcat 8.5.12 on Windows 2008R2 64bit with
Server JRE 1.8.0u121. Right now the process is still running but no
requests are being processed, or take a very long time to process.

Please provide information for your Connector configuration (server.xml)

Regards,
Violeta