Posted to docs@cocoon.apache.org by st...@outerthought.org on 2004/01/26 17:00:06 UTC

[WIKI-UPDATE] SandBox CocoonPerformance GzipPipeline CocoonUserGroupSwitzerland Mon Jan 26 17:00:05 2004

Page: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=SandBox , version: 216 on Mon Jan 26 16:02:40 2004 by 217.210.23.10

- Play here until you are confident, it is easy.
?                                  ^

+ Play here until you are confident; it is easy.
?                                  ^

- Dirty links usually don't live long here.
- ----
- __Hello.__
- ----
+ Dirty links usually don't live long here..
+
+ tralala
+
+ !heading
+
+ !!another one
+ !!!yet another one
+ jj
+
+ __Hello!
+
+
+ Da derp de derp a teelelly derp de dum
+ --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+ This whole cocoon thing is a tragic example of a gigantic edifice achieving nothing
+ ......Tower of Babel anyone?
+
+ I came here because I had a simple aim: to write Excel from Java....
+ I quickly found HSSF which is in POI (why?) so I downloaded the POI bloat....
+ HSSF may even work.. over on the HSSF page they have departed, leaving a message
+ saying they have moved to Cocoon. This is a calamity.....
+ Arriving at cocoon you can easily spend an hour wallowing in the
+ crud, until you realise that its all XML, there is no Java to Excel......
+ well XML may be very nice, (DLL and COM objects sounded nice when you first heard about them)
+ But my reaction to the cocoon blathering site(s) is to retch and depart
+
+ [and this wiki stuff is Less useful than a newsgroup and more bloated,
+ requires me to learn a whole new suite of crapola, .... no thanks
+
+ the sole simple example I have seen so far for HSSF  so absurd as to make me weep...
+ the chap actually gives each row a separate new variable, and leaves the write to the end
+ Hasnt he heard of buffered output? ...
+ 30 years ago anyone could have told him, ...
+ write a row at a time knucklehead...
+
+ I am still reeling from the shocks this whole experience has dealt me
+

Page: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=CocoonPerformance , version: 8 on Mon Jan 26 16:04:10 2004 by 128.240.229.6

- Aditional notes: When setting JDK memory remember that JVMs on most systems can only use upto 1800Meg  (see [http://www.theserverside.com/discussions/thread.jsp?thread_id=19442]) I think sun systems can handle upto 4 gig, not sure baout all the 64 bit systems that are cropping up.
?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         -

+ Aditional notes: When setting JDK memory remember that JVMs on most systems can only use upto 1800Meg  (see [http://www.theserverside.com/discussions/thread.jsp?thread_id=19442]) I think sun systems can handle upto 4 gig, I'm not sure about all the 64 bit systems that are cropping up.
?                                                                                                                                                                                                                               ++++         +

Page: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=GzipPipeline , version: 6 on Mon Jan 26 15:25:31 2004 by Dperez

+ !Notes
+
+ * Don't try to compress CSS files or Mozilla 1.5 or IE 6 will get slow
+ * Mozilla 1.5 doesn't like either compressing javascript files.
+ * jpg and gif files are already compressed, so compress them twice isn't very useful.
+
+ My email address is dperezcar at fcc dot es (rename at and dot).
+

Page: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=CocoonUserGroupSwitzerland , version: 67 on Mon Jan 26 15:13:14 2004 by 138.190.15.46

- *[Sylvain Thevoz]
+ *[Sylvain Thevoz]: finally it is OK for me. I'll come with one of my colleagues.