Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by "Pedro I. Sanchez" <ps...@colcan.biz> on 2005/05/01 15:42:15 UTC

Building a non-english uni-lingual web site

Hello,

I'm testing Forrest to build an all-Spanish web site. No multilingual
support is planned yet, but when this capability becomes available (it
is not ready yet, correct?) I'll be interested in using it. I'm using a
SVN working copy of the current development Forrest.

These are the things I have done so far:

1. Added encoding="ISO-8859-1" on the XML header of documents so that I
can use accents.

2. Created tabs, menus, and content in Spanish. Nothing special here, it
just works.

3. Created a local skin for my site by copying the original "custom" and
"pelt" directories from Forrest into my local tree and adjusting
forrest.properties accordingly.

So far so good, using the local skin I can translate labels like
"Published", "Search", etc. But before I go too far into it I'd like to
ask a couple of questions:

1. Is this the right approach? Is this manual customization of the skin
the right way to do these translations? It feels weird to me, like I'm
doing something wrong. I see a directory named "translations" in my site
but I have no clue how to use it. Any hints?

2. I can't figure out how to get the date in Spanish, for instance in
the "Last Published" string in the footer. I tried exporting LANG=es_ES
before running the forrest command but this doesn't help. Where do I
change this?

Thank you for your time,

--
Pedro