Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by gary_domke <ga...@sbcglobal.net> on 2012/10/04 18:40:04 UTC

ApacheCon EU 2012

Dear Olive,

     My name is Gary E. Domke.  I've been an Open Office user since the
inception of the community and program (incubator) and do truly love the
concept, the product and the nature of the contributors.  I'm 66 years old,
a "semi-retired" executive vice president of a stock brokerage and
investment banking firm (somewhat dependent on my social security checks to
put food on my table).  I'm slightly more technologically competent than
most people my age, have built several computers starting with Heathkit and
Commodore PET products back in the '70s.  I've written a couple of tiny and
unsophisticated programs in Basic and C+ at various times that served my
purpose.  I helped establish the original MIRC and was sysop for the
#new2mirc training link visited by thousands of users as a first step to
using Internet Relay Chat.    Even with that very limited (self - taught)
level of knowledge, I'm frequently asked to assist clients, family and
friends with computer issues, problems or to provide guidance about
purchases of hardware or selection of appropriate software.

    I think a forum like ApacheCon EU might benefit from input at my level
of expertise.  I could well be the "proto-typical" end user of Open Office.
I'm a gifted public speaker, friendly, outgoing and reasonably personable.

    Following a couple of unfortunate personal events, I no longer have the
resources to pay for travel outside of the range of a couple of tanks of
gasoline.

    I'd love to attend and believe I could make a contribution.  Lacking any
personal financial resources of significance and without any corporate or
TAC funding,  I'd need the full subsidy, discount and 600,000EUR to be able
to make the trip.  It'd be great if I could stay for several nights.

    Every product development process should have input from typical
end-users.  I'm about as typical as you'll find anywhere on the planet.

    Gary

gary_domke@sbcglobal.net

Re: ApacheCon EU 2012

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Gary,

please help us and use the application form to apply for a travel expense
subsidy. Otherwise it would be quite hard to consider your application.

The application form is:
> You need to apply for the travel expense subsidy by sending an email to the
> public mailing list <oo...@incubator.apache.org> until 2012-10-12, 12:00
> (Central European time, GMT+2).
> The subject of this email have to be "[ACEU 2012 - travel subsidy] <YourName>".
> In the content of the email please fill the following fields:
> - full name
> - email address
> - affiliation to the OpenOffice community (something like: "committer", "user", "contributing X", "translator", ...)
> - Apache ID (if available)
> - accepted or stand-by speaker at ACEU?
> - description why applying for the ticket discount and why support is needed
> - job or eduation status (something like: "student", "employee", "freeflancer", ...)
> - estimated travel expense
> - estimated needed accommodation - # of nights
> - other available funding (something like: "corporate", "ACEU - TAC", ...)
> - applying for 300,00 EUR or 600,00 EUR?

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: ApacheCon EU 2012

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Gary,

and please help us and use also the application form to apply for the ticket
discount. The application form for the ticket discount is: