Posted to yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@altiscale.com> on 2014/09/08 22:02:13 UTC

test-container-executor in root mode (vs. YARN-1327)

Hey gang.

    I was looking at committing YARN-1327 (which seems reasonable).  Before
doing that, I wanted to run it manually against test-container-executor.
As some of you likely know, this test has a manual step and multiple ways
to run.  From the comments:

// This test is expected to be executed either by a regular
// user or by root. If executed by a regular user it doesn't
// test all the functions that would depend on changing the
// effective user id. If executed by a super-user everything
// gets tested. Here are different ways of execing the test binary:
// 1. regular user assuming user == yarn user
// $ test-container-executor
// 2. regular user with a given yarn user
// $ test-container-executor yarn_user
// 3. super user with a given user and assuming user == yarn user
// # test-container-executor user
// 4. super user with a given user and a given yarn user
// # test-container-executor user yarn_user

Is anyone actual able to run this in root mode?  I always seem to fail with:

Error signalling container <pid> with 3 - Operation not permitted
FAIL: child <pid> exited with bad status 1

I'm just wondering if it is my local setup that is broken or if the test is
flawed or...

I'll admit I'm being lazy and haven't dug into the code yet. ;)

Thanks.