Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Umang Vaishnani <um...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/01 06:29:10 UTC

Research purpose

If i want to research on apache drill in my master study.

So, which possibilities are there in research of apache drill?

and which topic i want to select for apache drill in research?

Re: Research purpose

Posted by Saurabh Mahapatra <sa...@gmail.com>.
Can you give us a little background about yourself and what your interest
is?

I know that Aman Sinha and Paul Rogers may have interesting ideas for a
Drill thesis for MS, PhD and beyond. There are plenty of interesting
problems to solve from a query engine standpoint.

My favorite one is using queuing models to come up with sizing a Drill
cluster that gives you SLAs on performance, availability and throughput for
ad hoc interactive queries (you would need to model this and its
distribution), concurrency. Your model could inject failures.

The list of software would have been one of these:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_discrete_event_simulation_software

And the tool that I would have used for this would have been SimEvents
because it is free at the university:
https://www.mathworks.com/products/simevents.html

Aman, Paul: Thoughts?

Saurabh