Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Bill Herndon <bh...@kodakgallery.com> on 2005/12/13 19:44:45 UTC

Solution for Single Authenticator/Multiple Requestors?

All,

I'm facing a situation where I need to test by having a single test thread submit a set of three HTTP requests to do authentication to a server (cookies-based) and then test with varying numbers of threads that will submit requests for a specific duration.  Has anybody ever tried to set up such a scenario?

Solutions I've tried:

1)  Two thread groups (authentication and test) nested within the plan and an HTTP Cookie Manager also nested at the Test Plan level -- Doesn't work.  Though each group can set and retrieve cookies as long as their group is running, the authentication cookies from the earlier thread group (authentication) are wiped out before the second group runs.

2)  Two thread groups (authentication and test) nested within a container thread group that has the CookieManager -- Doesn't work, same behavior as in number (1).

3)  Two thread groups (authentication and test) nested with the plan with a User Variables element also nested at the plan level.  Reqular expression post-processor are used in the authentication thread group to attempt to extract the cookies into user variables which are then used in the second thread group to build the Cookie headers using a HTTP Header Manager -- Doesn't work because user variables, also, seem to be wiped out between thread group runs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill
William Herndon                           Kodak Imaging Network
bherndon@kodakgallery.com                       510.229.1114

Re: Solution for Single Authenticator/Multiple Requestors?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 13/12/05, Bill Herndon <bh...@kodakgallery.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm facing a situation where I need to test by having a single test thread submit a set of three HTTP requests to do authentication to a server (cookies-based) and then test with varying numbers of threads that will submit requests for a specific duration.  Has anybody ever tried to set up such a scenario?

Seems a very strange scenario.

JMeter is intended to simulate multiple users; each thread simulates a
different user.

Can you not authenticate each thread separately?