Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2001/08/10 14:50:11 UTC

[VOTE] Re: ComponentManager.release

Leo Sutic wrote:

> All,
>
> is it part of the contract for ComponentManager.release that the component
> parameter may be null?
>
> In ExcaliburComponentManager.release the method has a test at the top:
>
>   if ( null == component )
>   {
>       return;
>   }
>
> So one can write:
>
> MyComponent myComponent = null;
> try {
>     myComponent = manager.lookup (MyComponent.ROLE);
> } finally {
>     manager.release (myComponent);
> }

You know what?  This has never been formalized as a proper use, but I like it.
I put that test in there because I wanted to exit the function early if there
was nothing to do.

I propose that we enforce this as part of the contract for ComponentManager/Selector
so that we can return a null and the manager will ignore the request.

+1

Re: [VOTE] Re: ComponentManager.release

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@yahoo.com>.
> One thing though ... what is meant to happen when we
> get handed a component
> that we don't manage - ignore it ?

YES.  That was always the intention.

Re: [VOTE] Re: ComponentManager.release

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 10 Aug 2001 22:50, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Leo Sutic wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > is it part of the contract for ComponentManager.release that the
> > component parameter may be null?
> >
> > In ExcaliburComponentManager.release the method has a test at the top:
> >
> >   if ( null == component )
> >   {
> >       return;
> >   }
> >
> > So one can write:
> >
> > MyComponent myComponent = null;
> > try {
> >     myComponent = manager.lookup (MyComponent.ROLE);
> > } finally {
> >     manager.release (myComponent);
> > }
>
> You know what?  This has never been formalized as a proper use, but I like
> it. I put that test in there because I wanted to exit the function early if
> there was nothing to do.
>
> I propose that we enforce this as part of the contract for
> ComponentManager/Selector so that we can return a null and the manager will
> ignore the request.
>
> +1

works for me too

+1

One thing though ... what is meant to happen when we get handed a component
that we don't manage - ignore it ?

Cheers,

Pete