Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by Prasad Bhalerao <pr...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/11 17:56:59 UTC

Heap size

Hi,

Is anyone using on heap cache with more than 30 gb jvm heap size in
production?

Which gc algorithm are you using?

If yes have you faced any issues relates to long gc pauses?

Thanks,
Prasad

Re: Heap size

Posted by Michael Cherkasov <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Prasad,

G1 is a good choice for big heaps, if you have big GC pauses you need to
investigate this, might be GC tuning is required, might be you just need to
increase heap size, it depends on your case and very specific.
Also, please make sure that you use 31GB heap, or > 40 GB heap, numbers
between 31 and 40 is useless, the following article explains why it so:
https://blog.codecentric.de/en/2014/02/35gb-heap-less-32gb-java-jvm-memory-oddities/
Also, I want to clarify that ignite stores data in off-heap, heap usually
is required for SQL(ignite bring data from off-heap to heap) and for
internal structures and your compute tasks of course.

Thanks,
Mike.

Re: Heap size

Posted by zaleslaw <za...@gmail.com>.
Sometimes, for blobs and images with size around 100-1000 mbs I'm using G1
with increased heap region size via -XX:G1HeapRegionSize

Also, if you have nodes with 8-24 cores, try to use CMS, it gives small
second GC pause during "remark" phase when you don't change the graph of
objects very often and intensive.