Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Miguel Angel Medina Lopez <ma...@logic-factory.com> on 2002/11/27 19:34:33 UTC

Struts and Tomcat 3.2.3

Hi all:

I'm developing a struts application on Tomcat 3.3 and works fine, however I
want to deploy it on Tomcat 3.2.3 and throw  the next exception:

    java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.struts.util.PropertyMessageResourcesFactory

The same error occur if I deploy the example application struts-blank from
the struts1.1b2, the distribution I use.

Do I need an special configuration in my Tomcat?

Thanks

Re: Struts and Tomcat 3.2.3

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Miguel Angel Medina Lopez wrote:

> Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 19:34:33 +0100
> From: Miguel Angel Medina Lopez <ma...@logic-factory.com>
> Subject: Struts and Tomcat 3.2.3
>
> Hi all:
>
> I'm developing a struts application on Tomcat 3.3 and works fine, however I
> want to deploy it on Tomcat 3.2.3 and throw  the next exception:
>
>     java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.apache.struts.util.PropertyMessageResourcesFactory
>
> The same error occur if I deploy the example application struts-blank from
> the struts1.1b2, the distribution I use.
>
> Do I need an special configuration in my Tomcat?

Yes -- at the moment you need 3.3 or later.

Tomcat 3.2 has bugs in its class loader implementation that affect Struts
applications.  We could possibly work around this with a bugfix in Struts,
but the change would be somewhat risky (it might destabilize things on
other platforms) so the developers have chosen not to implement it.

Aside from bugfixes, you'll be much happier with both the performance,
features, and the support of later versions of Tomcat.

Craig