Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Javier Salado <ja...@swissrisk.com> on 2007/07/23 13:36:02 UTC

FOP and Avalon

Hello there,

I have been browsing the archive and I have read old messages regarding the
dependencies between FOP and the Avalon framework.

As far as I understood FOP uses the logging and configuration utilities from
Avalon and I have read that there is already some work done to use
commons-logging instead. Any lans to use commons-configuration as well?

In summary is the latest release (0.93) Avalon-free or are there any plans
to have an Avalon-free release in the near future?

My concerns are due to the fact that our applications that uses FOP for
report generation, and I would like to plan ahead all the details of the
support issues.

Thanks for the help and best regards,
J.

Re: FOP and Avalon

Posted by Adrian Cumiskey <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi Javier,

The Avalon dependencies are minimal in the latest trunk build (and the
forth coming 0.94 release).  FOP uses Apache Commons logging which
allows you to chose which ever logging implementation you desire.  The
old configuration dependencies are now minimal, I abstracted all that
code out of the renderers, and it now resides in a series of
Configurator classes which could be easily overriden/rewritten with
different implementations in the future.

Adrian.