Posted to users@tiles.apache.org by Andrey Botalov <bo...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/20 20:05:08 UTC

How to get request attribute shown in JSP when using Apache Tiles?

I use Apache Tiles 3.
In servlet I do:

     request.setAttribute("field-message", "Message");

Then request is forwarded to /WEB-INF/pages/something.jsp:

     <tiles:insertDefinition name="something" />

In tiles.xml I have:

     <definition name="something" template="/WEB-INF/layouts/default.jsp">
       <put-attribute name="main-content"
value="/WEB-INF/tiles/something.jsp" />
     </definition>

In /WEB-INF/tiles/something.jsp I have:

And I see 0 instead of "Message" in result HTML file.

What should I do to get "Message" shown there?

Re: How to get request attribute shown in JSP when using Apache Tiles?

Posted by Ephemeris Lappis <ep...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

An idea : perhaps it has nothing to do with Tiles, but with EL. Try to
change your variable name with "fieldMessage" instead of
"field-message". I think the EL translation is the substraction of two
unknown values, "field" and "message", that results "zero"...

I hope this helps.
Regards.

Ephemeris Lappis

Posted by Nicolas LE BAS <ma...@nlebas.net>.
Tiles has nothing to do with it, this a pure JSP issue.

On 12-08-20 02:05 PM, Andrey Botalov wrote:

This is the difference between two attributes: "field" and "message".
Both are nulls, so the difference is zero...

Either you choose another name for your attribute, or you use the
construct <p>${requestScope['field-message']}</p>

Hope this helps,
Nick