Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/25 16:39:05 UTC

JIRA references in commit log messages

Hi all,

The subject of commit log messages has come up a few times recently, so I
have run the script I used a couple of years ago when I brought the subject
up originally. I ran it last week for the 6 month period between Sept 19th
and March 19th, and the results were as follows:

Qpid trunk:
With JIRA: *497*, NO-JIRA: *102*, No reference: *19
*

Around half of those with no reference were simply syntax errors, so
overall a good result in terms of someone electing to enter a JIRA or
deliberately  choosing not to (i.e NO-JIRA).

Some of the NO-JIRAs are perhaps questionable, with some of them being
discussed on the list at the time. That there are some people doing far
more than others is possibly notable.

Proton trunk:
With JIRA: *250*, NO-JIRA: *65*, No reference: *152*

For anyone wanting percentages, that last one is 33%. The full results show
that the majority of those were earlier in the period and it has been
improving, but there are still more than I'd really expect.

Robbie

You can find the actual output on the following page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/Commit+List+March+2013

It will take a while to load as I appear to have given JIRA a bit too much
work to do at once, and couldnt even successfully edit the page to reduce
the content :)