Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Fabien COELHO <fa...@coelho.net> on 2005/03/08 13:19:41 UTC

"recode string" issue in commit messages

Hello subversion users,

I have a issue about non ascii characters in commit messages.
It is annoying.

 	sh> uname -a
 	Linux sablons 2.4.20-3-686 #1 Sat Jun 7 22:34:55 EST 2003 i686 GNU/Linux

 	sh> svn --version
 	svn, version 1.1.3 (r12730)

         # somewhere...
 	sh> cat comments
 	En français il y a des lettres accentuées.

 	sh> svn commit -F comments
 	svn: Commit failed (details follow):
 	svn: Can't recode string

I do not think I'm the first to try to put accentuated characters in a
comment, however I have neither found this reported nor it seems to appear
in the FAQ. The bug-reporting form say one should send an email here
instead of reporting a bug. So here I am.

Is it a bug? a feature? Am I missing something?

--
Fabien

Re: "recode string" issue in commit messages

Posted by Dominic Mitchell <do...@happygiraffe.net>.
On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 02:19:41PM +0100, Fabien COELHO wrote:

> Hello subversion users,
>
> I have a issue about non ascii characters in commit messages.
> It is annoying.
>
> 	sh> uname -a
> 	Linux sablons 2.4.20-3-686 #1 Sat Jun 7 22:34:55 EST 2003 i686
> 	GNU/Linux
>
> 	sh> svn --version
> 	svn, version 1.1.3 (r12730)
>
>         # somewhere...
> 	sh> cat comments
> 	En fran?ais il y a des lettres accentu?es.
>
> 	sh> svn commit -F comments
> 	svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> 	svn: Can't recode string
>
> I do not think I'm the first to try to put accentuated characters in a
> comment, however I have neither found this reported nor it seems to appear
> in the FAQ. The bug-reporting form say one should send an email here
> instead of reporting a bug. So here I am.
>
> Is it a bug? a feature? Am I missing something?

I would hazard a guess that it'll work properly if you encode that
"comments" file as UTF-8.

Alternatively, you can specify the usual encoding of commit messages by
changing your config file.  Look for the "log-encoding" setting in the
manual:

    http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07.html#svn-ch-7-sect-1.3.2

-Dom