Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Mag Gam <ma...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/26 08:12:53 UTC

Can Lucene do this?

I have a document called "foo.txt" and it has a LOT of information on,
various computer tips, programming code, phone numbers, addresses,
etc..etc...

The document is set up something like this

----------------foo.txt-----------------
Phone number for Pizza: 1800-999-9999

To cook rice:
Put rice on the cooker, and just cook it

To see what processes are running:
ps -ef

and it keeps on going on.......

------------foo.txt---------------------

Can I use lucene to index this document only, and display blocks of
information if I need it? Like if I type in this query, "cook rice" I should
get the "To Cook rice:" statement and block...

TIA!

Re: Can Lucene do this?

Posted by Mag Gam <ma...@gmail.com>.
Maik:

Thanks for the reply. I was going to go that way, but it involves a lot of
work, since my text file is about 3 meg of information.

However, I am looking into integrating my data with Derby plus Lucene.

TIA!

Re: Can Lucene do this?

Posted by Maik Schreiber <bl...@blizzy.de>.
> Can I use lucene to index this document only, and display blocks of
> information if I need it? Like if I type in this query, "cook rice" I should
> get the "To Cook rice:" statement and block...

Just break your original document into multiple documents by splitting on
empty lines, and add those documents with a "text" field into a Lucene index.